Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Taken alive by Chiggers >

Taken alive by Chiggers

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taken alive by Chiggers

Old 09-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got them for the first time last year, wow, they will drive a man nuts. Clear nail polish is what I did too, worked great. since its on your hands, you could use whatever color matches what you paint your nails with...JK!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Be "very" careful about wearing the same clothes (ie. that fancy scent lok you just bought) for a few days on those early season bowhunts. I wound up in the hosp. from "chiggers" about 15 yrs. ago. I literally was covered with bites. If i need to trim some lanes, set a stand or work on food plots I spray everything with permanone and add some Deet on top of it. I won't let it happen again!! I stay out of the woods until things are right these days but in the back of my mind I know that some of my thinking is related to that episode with those damn chiggers. They left a lasting impression. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

Dan
Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Draw a tub of hot water, put a cup of Clorox into and soak for about 15 minutes, they'll be gone...
Old 09-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Draw a tub of hot water, put a cup of Clorox into and soak for about 15 minutes, they'll be gone...

There already gone when the itching starts,read Hardcore's thread.

If you take a bath shortly after encountering chiggers,you can usually wash most of them away brfore too much damage is done,the same holds true for poison ivy.You must also wash your clothes because they may still be in them,same with poison ivy.

I have made it a habit if I think I ,may have encountered them,either,I will shower as soon as I get home.

I like wearing my dream season boots to help keep them off as well.They have the built in gators at the top that really helps.Permanone spray also works well as stated earlier.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

ive got hundreds of bites rite now on my legs and a few here and there. got them on opening day of delaware bow season. i got into a nest of them. lol. ive had them before and the best thing for them is time. they are goin to itch regardless what you use. you have to put whatever helps calm the itch on and then mentally block the suckers out.