Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadheads shoot low when practicing >

Broadheads shoot low when practicing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads shoot low when practicing

Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 AM
Spike

Default Broadheads shoot low when practicing

Ive been spending time at the range and got to the point where I was shooting about a 3" group with practice tips at 25 yards. Said ok now i will put on a broadhead and see what happens. I was shooting low and to the left about 4-6 inches. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, go to the Easton website and read about tuning you bow to the arrows you hunt with...

From your description, you need to move the nock down about 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch and the rest left....Keep working with those adjustments until both field points and broadheads group together...
Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup- check Easton's Tuning Guide. nchawkeye's right on the money.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Yep, go to the Easton website and read about tuning you bow to the arrows you hunt with...

From your description, you need to move the nock down about 1/32 - 1/16 of an inch and the rest left....Keep working with those adjustments until both field points and broadheads group together...

I think NC meant to say move the rest to the right.

Broadheads... no matter fixed or mechanical... will always hit lower than field points all things being equal by the way.... that doesn't meant that you can't manipulate them to hit in the same spot. More leading surface area is going to create more drag and make your bh's shoot lower than your FPs.... most people can't notice any difference, or so little that you can chalk it up to shooter's being human and therefore imperfect.

The easton guide is a good read and has advice that is almost biblical to archers.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye

This is very interesting. Not that I doubt you, but can anyone explain the physics of this?

It seems to me that those adjustments might bring the broadheads onto target, but wouldn't the practice tips then be high and right?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
This is very interesting. Not that I doubt you, but can anyone explain the physics of this?

It seems to me that those adjustments might bring the broadheads onto target, but wouldn't the practice tips then be high and right?
No, broadheads will react more to a change on the rest than feild points will. Keep moving the rest in small increments and eventually bh's and fp's should group together.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
No, broadheads will react more to a change on the rest than feild points will. Keep moving the rest in small increments and eventually bh's and fp's should group together.

Assuming proper spine,tune and arrow setup.

Swamp,you will not see the drag take effect within normal hunting distances to make broadheads hit lower than field points,especially if using properly spined and proper helical fletch.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the broadhead tuning chart from Eaton's tuning guide.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

If you move your nock or rest and your broadheads are were you want but the POI for field points has also moved up, dont be alarmed. Just keep adjusting and eventually the broadheads and field points will come together. If this happens and you are high simply move your sight down so the point where broadheads and field points meet becomes the bullseye. But dont touch your sights until the two are grouping together, prior to that adjust your rest or nocking point.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

There is a great sticky thread on AT that illustrates this process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.