Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Early Season Call and Scent Lure Strategy >

Early Season Call and Scent Lure Strategy

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Call and Scent Lure Strategy

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Early Season Call and Scent Lure Strategy

What calls and scents are you guys planning to use early on? I was in the section at Gander today checking all the different things out and had to walk away because I haven't put enough thought into how I want to approach it this year.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

i think i might try some of those scent waffers that come in a resealable can instead of the pee in the bottle. seems alot cleaner and easier.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Scents, don't waste your money. If you have to waste it, use buck urine scents.

Calls, contact and social calls, (grunts and bleats)
Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

dont buy scent for early season, but if you want a call you could go with doe or fawn bleats...and possibly light grunts.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Early season and up until around the 1st of October, I would keep scents out of the equation, and only use contact grunts and social calls. If anything at all. Quite honestly, in the early season, find the food that they are attacking and set up along a route to and fro that they use. Early season, and until the bucks disperse and change into their fall routines, is when bucks are most "patternable," so take advantage of it. --All they do is eat, drink, and sleep right now.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

if youre going to use a scent use a curiosity scent such as buck nip, this is a sweet smelling scent. Stay away from any sexual scents unless its doe pee without heat, and stay away from buck in rut scents. There is a gel that i used to use early season, it was a curriosity scent that really worked early season. Deer would like it off the branches or what ever. I cant remember the name of it though. It came in a squeeze tube like the scent shield tubes, but I dont think it was made by scent shield. But IT WORKED WITHIN MINUTES. If I can find it Ill let you know what it is.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I don't use anything early season what so ever, the more scents you put out early season the more education your giving the deer in your area....IMO.... When the ruts in full swing a may use a little doe in heat attractant or dominant buck in some scraps but nothing over the top. They know there smells better than we do!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Im in total agreement with fingerz42 and rob
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use anything in the early season, calls, or scents especially. I like to keep it pretty low impact until the rut heats up, then I use calls, but I have gotten away from scents for the most part.