Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting for meat.. >

Hunting for meat..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting for meat..

Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Well, being in college this is a big reason I hunt too. I try to fill the freezer with duck, goose, turkey and deer in the fall so that all year I can have a variety of meat to eat and not have to spend the money on it. I hate trying to live off mac 'n cheese or ramen noodles and I probably could buy it from the grocery store if I had to, but in order to pay rent I very rarely would, all I buy now is some bacon to wrap it all in and I'm good to go. Good luck! You should think about going to for ducks and geese too just to get a little variety throughout the year.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a secure job but eat a lot of venison. A lot of the farmers will ask if I need some vension and I always take it. Its usually from the AG deer people shoot but don't know what to do with the deer. So my dad and I usually take it and divide it up with in the family. I usually get three or four flatheads out of the deal. So when Archery season comes, I can hunt for antlers.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Spike

Nothing wrong with being a meat hunter.
I have always been a meat hunter first and trophy hunter 2nd.
You cant feed your family antlers.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by longbeard_chaser
Nothing wrong with being a meat hunter.
I have always been a meat hunter first and trophy hunter 2nd.
You cant feed your family antlers.
Yeah but you can put them on the wall and everytime you look at the antlers, you recall that memory
Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Agreed, and whether you hunt for sport or meat, or hopefully a combination of both, the fact that you can hunt in this country is what counts. Not only are you filling the freezer with deer meat and putting antlers on the wall each fall, but you're having a lot of fun in the process. Remember that and to explain all of the above to your Congressional representatives if any of this "banning hunting if its just for sport and fun" mumbo jumbo comes to fruition under Obama's regulatory Czar.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

im self employed and it has been slow. im lucky to have a father who is in the same trade as me and we work together when we dont have work of our own. i have been a rack hunter for the last 5yrs and i think itll stay that way. if i need a nice tender deer my father harvests 8 or more each yr hunting 2 states. good luck to everyone and i hope we all get plenty of work in the near future!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was laid off the whole month of August. I'm back to work now, it's suppose to be an 8week job, after that who knows if there will be work for me? I get my work through the union I work for and there is alot of guys on the bench right now. The only thing I have going for me is the fact I have 1more year left in my apprenticeship.
My wife is a stay at home mom. My ten yr. old is eating all most as much as me, and loves venison as much as me too. We don't buy beef unless we're out of venison. We have like one package left. I put three in the freezer last yr. so it looks like I better put in at least that much this yr. I always try to only shoot the mature ones, unless I can get a clean close head shot. I just wish I could have a little more luck while bowhunting.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

all meat here and some sport.. no care about trophy bucks. doe comes first, doe gets it.. bucks comes, well.. buck gets it..

Last edited by soulless; 09-09-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Spike

I'm new to hunting. I've got a good job and am paid very decent money for what I do. The recession hit us all pretty hard in Ft. Smith, AR. We're a very industrial city so there are many manufacturing plants around here that are feeling the pinch right now and my company feeds off of them because we're an industrial supplier. We are also feeling it. Business is way down when compared to just a year ago. We've cut 2 good people loose that didn't deserve it. I'm hunting for the challenge and excitement first and foremost, but I think the real spoils of the hunt is the months if not years of meat. Every honorable hunter knows that. If that's how you put food on the table, so be it. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Plus, deer meat is awesome.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I fill the freezer every year, and I don't plan on changing.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.