Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need opinion

Old 08-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default need opinion

Hey guys, I just moved from a rural area to the suburbs just outside of Pittsburgh. The place I'm living is nice and my back door goes right out into the woods. There have been doe behind the house but the woods are not very wide. There is nothing but acorns throughout the woods. Well while taking a walk the other day, I found the remains of a nice 19" 7point that must have been hit by a car. My question is, do you think small (75 yards wide) woods can be productive? I miss the rural area where hunting spots are not hard to come by, I'm really just looking for a nice place to hunt and am really considering taking my chances the this small patch. Anyone in similar situations?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

What makes any piece of timber productive is if there are deer there. If you are seeing deer and sign, I would say you have a huntable piece of timber. See if you can locate their bedding area. If they are staying in the area, they have to have a bedding area and favorite food source.

There is some really good urban hunting to be had out there, you may have just stumbled upon some. Make sure you have permission, you want to be legal.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are seeing deer there then hunt it! I would if i were you by the sounds of it...
Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

in urban areas deer will use whatever cover is available and a 75 yard wide patch of timber would be akin to a national forest out in the country
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

id hunt it. were im from there are small patchs of woods around me and some monster deer have been takin out of them becuase no one hunts around me becuase its close to so many buildings and everything they think there are no deer. I went to the taxidermist during the season and the biggest deer shot was out of a small 50 by 100 yards patch of woods near my house.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

I worked with a company that did live deer trapping in suburban NJ. Some of the biggest bucks i ever saw were in patches like the one you describe. One of the bigest bucks we caught was seen frequently rubbing one of the cedar poles on the landowners kids swingset!! Rubbed it so much it was hourglass shaped!!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer often hide out in small tracts just for the reason few hunters ever set foot in them.