Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do you manage your practice/in-field Broadheads? >

How do you manage your practice/in-field Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you manage your practice/in-field Broadheads?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do you manage your practice/in-field Broadheads?

I'm just wondering how most of you manage your blades. What I mean by this is for ex: I bought a pack of slick tricks...I'm practicing with two, and saving one as the first shot of the season. I don't know if i should just try to sharpen the ones I practice with before the season or buy replacement blades...

How do you guys work this out?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

honestly, they all get sharpened to razor sharp before season, and after i get them grouping with the field points, all of them get shot once for consistancy, sharpened, and its field points for practice there on out.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by appleater25
I'm just wondering how most of you manage your blades. What I mean by this is for ex: I bought a pack of slick tricks...I'm practicing with two, and saving one as the first shot of the season. I don't know if i should just try to sharpen the ones I practice with before the season or buy replacement blades...

How do you guys work this out?

I buy replacement blades. I'm pretty good at blade sharpening, but it just isn't worth my time to sit and toil with them when I can purchase replacements pretty cheap. I keep the old ones for practice, and I'll often spray them with a quick coating of flo orange paint..... no mistaking them then. Just gotta keep it a super light coat or you'll change up stuff.

There are some styrophom targets you can shoot into that will actually sharpen the blades as they hit. Those big blocks that Northern Tool and Equipment has heavy stuff shipped in on will do it. They are free if you can find them.... and they will stop any arrow off any bow pretty quick.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I desginate one as my practice head, the rest are hunting heads...I also buy an extra pack of replacement blades, never did like even practicing with "practice" blades...

I also shoot every arrow that I wll hunt with at least 3 times with this blade, then put on a new one and it goes into the quiver...
Once I shoot a deer, that arrow is checked and refleched and it then becomes a practice arrow if it shoots well...
Old 08-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I do the same as nchawkeye. I shoot NAP thunderheads. I have a few heads that are just for practice. After I am happy with my groups I shoot the heads that I will be hunting with. I do this because all heads,even though they appear the same do not shoot the same. Once I have the heads that I am happy with, I change the blades and place them in my quiver ready to hunt.

I also shoot the arrows that I will hunt with also. I have one arrow that I have harvested 5 deer with. I will keep shooting that arrow until it does not fly well or until I break it!

I would just replace the blades in your slick tricks. Unless you are just honing them, it is a waste of time.

If this is the first time you have hunted with slick tricks you will love them. They are good heads. Confidence in the heads you hunt with is everything in my opinion.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do almost all pre-season praticing with field points. Just before the season I switch over to broadheads to make sure they are flying right. Any tune-ups before a hunt is with the broadheads. A qiuck check to make sure they are sharp and away I go...
Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the slick tricks to I have a set i practice with then when it is time to hunt I put in a new set of blades or sharpen some . I must have 9 or 10 sets that i can use but i keep a couple just for practice only
Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

As a knifemaker, I don't have a problem keeping them in shape. I also shoot 220 gr broadheads .040 thick so they work well for me.