Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Let off question... >

Let off question...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let off question...

Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let off question...

i posted awhile back about not being able to keep a steady hand and the replies were consistent about lowering the draw weight (which btw is 50 lbs) and i got to thinking....i have an older bow...a bear flare..from the 80s and would it be possible since it is an older bow that it has a lower let off then the bows today... so in turn i would have to hold back more weight and make me "unstable" and "float"a lil.....or is that just non sence?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are most likely correct.The letoff is probably much lower,which increases holding weight.However,if you have the correct draw length and form,lower letoff can hold much steadier than high.

Many top Hoyt shooters begged Hoyt to come back with their spiral cams because of the low letoff and speed.Some configurations with this cam have the letoff as low as 55%.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

form being the key word haha but when i get time i need to post up some pictures of how i shoot...you seem to be big on key and helping people get better with form TFOX..ill get that asap and we will see exactly whats wrong...
Old 08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
You are most likely correct.The letoff is probably much lower,which increases holding weight.However,if you have the correct draw length and form,lower letoff can hold much steadier than high.

Many top Hoyt shooters begged Hoyt to come back with their spiral cams because of the low letoff and speed.Some configurations with this cam have the letoff as low as 55%.

Right on. Less let off typically makes you hold more steady.... as will more mass weight of the bow. I swapped the aluminum weight for a solid brass one in my harmonic dampener on my Drenalin to boost the weight a bit. I could see the pin shake everytime my heart beat. On a big buck I suspect my pin would look like an EKG meter.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Right on. Less let off typically makes you hold more steady.
Great. I should never miss, then.

(joking...................................kinda):s 2:
Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I first started bow hunting I was given an old bow from the 80s as well. This thing was a beast in weight and very little to no let off at all. It was an old ProLine Bow. Great bow and took several deer for me. I practiced with the bow alot and got used to the fact that there was no let off. I found it easier to hold the bow steady than todays 90% let off bows such as my new bow.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is music to my ears haha bc everyone has been telling me ( and i agree) that i should go 1 year before buying a new bow to make sure i really truly enjoy bow hunting before i buy a new bow...and i plan to buy a nice bow next year...at the moment...you know how things can change...but if this bow makes it easier to use my next one like you have experienced then