Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
When does the rut start? >

When does the rut start?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When does the rut start?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you consider rubs and scrapes to be part of the rut it is on right now. when they lose their minds usually falls late oct. thru all of nov. around here.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Spike

I am in NC Kansas. You have seen some rubs already? All the pics from trail cams still show velvet.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i live in missouri and our archery season starts the 15....the 23rd would be amazing if it started then....never hunted "pre-rut" so i am not sure what to expect!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Several years ago, I read an article in D&DH by Charles Alsheimer. I'm not going to repeat the entire article here but in essence he said the rut was broken down into three or four different phases. In the northern latitudes the initial stages of the rut, or what he calls the seeking phase, are triggered by a certain moon phase. The moon phase being the second full moon, called the hunters moon, that occurs after the first day of fall. Since that full moon doesn't occur at the same time every year, it makes sense to me that on certain years you would not see the activity at the same time you see it in other years. Thus you would think we didn't have as intense of a rut as we normally have. After I read the article, I also thought about past years and what I had observed in my own hunting experience. Then I went back and checked the moon phases for those past years, and I must say, many times the increase in deer activity and that moon phase did line up. I also checked on the dates when some record bucks were killed in relationship to that moon phase and there were a lot of similarities. I am not sure if all his conclusions are correct but since I read that article, I have watched closely the moon phase each year and I have to say that there is a noticable increase in deer activity about that time every year. You would have to read the entire article to completely understand what he was talking about but alot of his conclusions make sense to me. This year that second full moon, or hunters moon, occurs on November 2nd. So if Mr. Alsheimers conclusions hold true, you should begin to see a big increase in deer activity around Oct. 30th or so. I would suggest that you find that article in the archives of D&DH or google it and see for yourself what he was talking about.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Couldnt have said it better myself-You can find all the info you stated in his Alsheimers book-Hunting Whitetails By The Moon. Best hunting book ive ever read. The hunters moon is the 2nd full moon after the autumnal equinox. That falls on Nov.2 this year-which means that 2-3 days before that until 6-7 days after are days you want to focus on. I have 5 deer that i considered mounters and have shot everyone of them in the 2-3 day before til 6 days after the rutting moon-coincendence? Maybe-but you can bet these days i have taken vacation days this year and every other. Check out the book-its def. a good read.