Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How high do you hunt? >

How high do you hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high do you hunt?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default How high do you hunt?

I know some guys that went on a bowhunt in Illinois & their guide had them in 12 or 15 foot stands. This kinda freaked them out because down here in the deep south, if your not 20 ft or higher, then you will probably get busted. Our deer walk around looking up in the trees. How high do you hunt?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I also heard this and also heard some say that Illinois deer don't look up. I was never looked at when I was in IL but I'm not sure I'd believe that.

I always hunt at a minimal of 20' if terrain and foliage allows. That's just me and not a rule of thumb. Many successfully kill deer much lower every year. Many kill from the ground as well so...
Old 08-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Here in south jersey deer look up more than they look down it seems. Im usually at least 20' but i have shot em at around 15 but i wast nestled in some thinck foliage. gonna try one on the ground this year i think
Old 08-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Early season when there is still lots of foilage I hunt 20 - 25 feet, as the leaves start to disappear I go higher, sometimes up to 30 feet. A lot of it depends on the terrain and the amount of breakup you have.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I am a firm Believer in hunting in the first layer of growth, AKA right around 12-20 ft depending on the area. I have a stand that is only 8 ft tall. I think that as leaves fall, u start to lose your backdrop. I trust my camo, but when there is no background for it to work with, (aka THE SKY) it cant really do its magic! I am rarely busted by deer....But that could just be an NE ohio thing
Old 08-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

A place I used to hunt and was a very favorite stand of mine was only 3' off the ground.

Now the explanation. It was on a gas line. There was a small oak right behind a group of elm/pine/fir trees that you couldn't see through. The stand when I was standing on it allowed me to shoot over top the pine trees. When seated it only allowed my head visible. The deer would funnel up the gas line. I was young and I missed a pile of deer from that stand.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on background cover, tree structure and shooting lanes. If there is good cover and good lanes at 12', then 12' is high enough. If it is December (no leaves) and the deer are skiddish, then 20' would be a minimum.

Remember that double-lunging a deer becomes exceedingly difficult if the downward shot angle is too great. If you are 25' in the air and the deer is at 7 yards, then your target area for a lethal and humane shot is very small and surrounded by bone - even if the deer is perfectly broadside. We talk about increased hunting height for concealment but we often neglect to consider the effect on shooting angle.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ideally I try to get upwards of high teens.
A lot depends on the terrain/tree I select and the amount of branches I have to cut to remain hidden.

This year I have relocated one of my stands about 100 yards down a nice trail and have it set about 28 feet high (nose bleed). This is hard to believe as I am scarred of heights!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is one of my weaknesses. Im really scared of heights. Every year i tell myself that ill hang a stand at least 20 feet but i just cant do it. 15 feet is about has high as i can go.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

All my ladder stands are 15' tall. Considering that most if not all of a deers natural predators hunt from the ground this should be high enough. I guess it helps to have a mess of yotes running around. Have had deer look right at me, most likely noticed some movement, then you just have to freeze, and they go on thier way right to the freezer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.