Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How would you deal with this >

How would you deal with this

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you deal with this

Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I knew the dogs were an issue/problem, then the conservationist in me would go right to work solving the issue/problem.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default Dog

I have had dogs all my life. I LOVE dogs. If it has a collar I try to scare it real good so it doesn't come back. I know accidents happen and dogs get out. If I continue to see that dog (such as used to be someone's pet and they just left it at my lease) I give it a few chances. After that...no more. One without a collar...ONE chance to not come back. After that NO MORE!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Doesnt the appearance of the dog in the picture kind of tell the story? Luckily I knew this because it had been caught on several cameras throughout preseason, never tracking deer like a trained hound would, but was always most active at night.

FYI, I couldnt do it. Im as much of a dog lover as I love to hunt, but if disease, traps, or others who were as close to it to have a shot...it was never seen after late winter.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
X2

I have been treed by a pack of wild Dogs while hunting before so they will die !
Ditto!!! I killed a pair of dogs one day while squirrel hunting, both dogs came running directly at me, in a very viscious manner. I had a Semi-Auto .22LR, and shot the first dog 3-4 times in the head, dropped him about 25ft from me, the second I shot probably 7-8times, it died about 10ft from me. I've also been treed, waited them dirty SOB's out, climbed down, and walked out with my knife in my head and on ready. Fortunately, they never returned as I trotted out of the woods.

I'm not a big fan of being "The Hunted!!!"
Old 08-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm surprised the animal control officer (granted he is a friend of yours) said to shoot them. A-la Michael Vick.... killing a dog in VA is now a felony. Personally Jeff, I'm with you, I don't have the heart to do it. Out west and in several other states in the mid-west, dogs that run deer and livestock not only may be, but are encouraged to be shot on sight. Dogs running deer in VA is part of life, and totally legal during the season. Most of the wild dogs and what not we get occur in wake of lost or discarded deer dogs coupled with other escaped or discarded house/yard dogs.

About all you can do is photograph the offending animals, call animal control, and hope you don't ever get cornered by one. If one ever squares off with you.... shoot first and sort her out later.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Good addition.

This is the best advice in this thread.

Hell it's the best advice in many threads.
Good addition
Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Red 5 stdby
SSS. Shoot, Shovel and Shutup.

Agreed!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Yep They are no good at all.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Do what you think has to be done, if they are a problem solve it.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
If they are indeed feral, I wouldn't hesitate and I'm a huge dog fan. I love dogs, whitetails and then people however, a truly feral dog does nothing and no one any good.

Couldn't agree more, feral dogs, let alone a possible pack are bad news and frankly dangerous to have running around. Years ago around here we had a group of feral dogs(5 if I remember) They killed 3 calves, chased a few people that luckily got away and tore up a few of the local pets, thankfully none were killed before the dogs were chased off.

Shane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.