Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How would you deal with this >

How would you deal with this

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you deal with this

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default How would you deal with this

This is a very ethical question, that requires a simple answer. Some may remember a similar post I had last preseason. In a lease I hunt there have been several feral dogs that not only have been caught on cameras, but attack other domesticated pets that are near woodlines, etc. several have been rabid, others just abandoned or lost and never recovered and have been surviving as pretty much a wild dog, needing a carnivorous diet.

A good frind of mine with my county's animal control highly suggested shooting (killing) the dogs. Evidentally this is something that is simialar to coyote bounty's ($50 for a killed coyote turned over to the VDGIF). I have a bit of an issue with this, but in some ways agree that they do not need to procreate and have packs of wild (feral) packs.

The first thing I look for is a collar, and then the general appearance of the dog. Second is basic dog behavior, ie coming to a call vs running, spooked and very timid of people...if given the chance to encounter one.

If you were on the ground, and were within distance to shoot, after seing such an obvious feral dog.......would you?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

If they are indeed feral, I wouldn't hesitate and I'm a huge dog fan. I love dogs, whitetails and then people however, a truly feral dog does nothing and no one any good.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Agree with Rob. But I'll add...I'd have to see him more than once.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Feral dogs are dangerous,not only detrimental to the game but dangerous to you.The dogs will be shot on sight.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wasnt there just an elderly couple killed by some stray dogs somewhere??? Ill see if I can find it...

Yup here it is
http://www.wusa9.com/news/watercoole...9922&catid=148
Old 08-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

SSS. Shoot, Shovel and Shutup.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

When leasing property and I have photos, I take them to the farmer/landowner and ask him if this is his neighbors dog(s)...

If they are then he can ask the neighbor to keep them in the pen as deer season is approaching...
Old 08-21-2009, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Feral dogs are dangerous,not only detrimental to the game but dangerous to you.The dogs will be shot on sight.
No GREY area there, I like!

Same for me...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TFOX
X2

I have been treed by a pack of wild Dogs while hunting before so they will die !
Old 08-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was a reoccurring problem, then yes I would defnitely shoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.