Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Deer's Most Preferred Clover... >

Deer's Most Preferred Clover...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer's Most Preferred Clover...

Old 08-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Spike

Default Deer's Most Preferred Clover...

What type of clover do you plant? What have you found the deer prefer the most? Thinking about mixing ladino (durana), berseem (bigbee), and buck forage oats. I will be planting small 40 yd x 20 yd bow plots in riverbottom Louisiana. Im not too worried about protein content...just want the max draw effect. Any suggestions?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Spike

On my smaller (deep woods) plots I like to plant berseem clover. Our property is a bit swampy in certain areas. The berseem seems to tolerate swampy soil a little bit better. I also like to buy a couple sacks of Maximum Biologic (brassica blend) to spread around the edges. this gives the deer something to eat in the latter parts of the season. Where in LA are you located?
Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

sounds good.. I usually mix a few different types of clovers together. ladino/med-red/yellow-sweet/aslike. Buck forage oats are a big hit around here.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've planted White Ladino clover from Southern States for about 6 years...About 2 years ago, I planted one half of a plot with the Whitetail Institute brand and the other half with the Southern States...The deer preferred the Southern States...