Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Everything Sound alright?? >

Everything Sound alright??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Everything Sound alright??

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Everything Sound alright??

first off i am a new to bow hunting, i rifle hunt and have for 5 years. just got my dads old bow out, an 80s bear flare. i went in and got a new string and peep sight and am thinking about gettin a new sight and a whisker biscuit rest..i am looking to buy arrows and i am just making sure i am gettin ght eright ones. the bow pulls 50 lbs and i THINK the arrows are suppose to be 29....im not sure how to tell my draw length or if it has to do with arrows??? i heard wing span has to do with draw length/arrow length and my wing span is 72...i was told to get 400 29inch arrows...not sure what 400 is?? also another thing is that the rest i have now is a plastic tube that swivels out to go horozontal so the bow can sit on...my question is would the fletching hit the "rest"??? and should i keep that kind of rest or get a whisker?? i am a noob and it shows!! sorry for the mess and questions above!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

take the bow back to the bow shop where you had your string put on and ask them to measure your draw length. they will be able to tell you what weight and length arrows you need. they will be able to answer all your questions. the rest you have will work. the fletches will hit the rest causing a little bit of accuracy loss. they actually have fall away rest so when you shoot the fletching doesnt hit anything. with the whisker biscuit all 3 fletchers hit the whiskers but it works great and it holds the arrow in place so you dont have to hold your finger on it the whole time your hunting. hope this helps.

Last edited by bypasskiller; 08-19-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the fact that you called yourself a mess....lol

To find out which spine (the 400 thingy), you need to know draw length, draw weight, and arrow length.

Take your bow back to the pro shop that put the new string on. Ask them to do these things for you.

1. Measure you draw length and makre sure your current bow fits you. Depending if your current bow will allow it, the shop can adjust the draw length if is currently too long/short for you.

2. Measure draw weight, the shop can also adjust this for you if needed.

3. Provide you with required arrow length.

While you could use your current rest, I would recommend you putting on something like the QAD Ultra rest if you can spare $60 or so. I am not a big fan of the Wisker Biscuit, but I know a lot of people shoot it and it probaly a pretty good rest for a beginner. The shop will be able to help you with this as well. If you put a new rest on it, besure to have the shop tune your bow for you as well.

A good pro shop is so important. They are going to be able to help you in so many areas, just go in and let them know you are starting out. If they are a decent shop, they will be more than happy to get you squared away and ready for season.

Good luck!