Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Cold Weather Gear while bowhunting??? >

Cold Weather Gear while bowhunting???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold Weather Gear while bowhunting???

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Spike

Default Cold Weather Gear while bowhunting???

Someone please tell me how the guys and gals you see on TV are not bulked up from a lot of clothing when it is extremely cold and windy. I have been going to Illinois for 3 years now and I tend to have to pile on the clothing to stay warm. Does anyone know what type of clothing they are using or some of you are using to avoid the bulkiness? I don't have too much on where it interferes with me shooting my bow but it looks like they don't have much on.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Spike

Under Armor seems to be all the rage. maybe that is what they are using. lots of money = top quality gear and clothing. i myself own a few u/a garments and they do indeed keep me warm on stand. I live in the North East so it does get a tag chilly around here.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Under armour really is great. It's expensive, but there's no bulk and you could wear a cold gear long sleeve upward 10 years.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Latyering with Underarmour does wonders. Also check out Carrol Davis, they make some of the warmest stuff out there. They make everything, socks, beanies, etc, but the body suit is just a great product.

https://www.cdsportswear.com/testimonials.htm
Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, as for the TV guys, alot of it is the camera and when they shoot the cutaways. Coming from experience, we shoot a lot of the cold weather cut aways with a layer or two removed, just so it looks alot cleaner. Gay, I know, but it does look better IMO. As far as cold weather clothing, I have gotten away from the one big parka and layer alot now. A good heavy set of undergarments are worth their weight in gold as far as warmth and bulk. Under Armour is some awesome stuff, pricey, but worth it. Also, wind proof clothing is well worth the price as it can greatly improve your ability to withstand the cold and make it seem far warmer than it actually may be.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I layer up with under armour. and weel since you are from a warmer climate it will naturally feel colder for you than it really is...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

I for one eliminate any type of cotton and layer to stay warm. In my area in Western NY we had tremedous snow falls, we actually had mutiple days of 18-24 within a 24 hours period.

I use Sitka Gear and have found that compared to Under Armour, are more lightweight and easier for packing on those trips I make out west. Below is a pic of the deer I got in NY after a series of days of HEAVY snowfall...had to use the Polaris 700 Dragon to get this one out....
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Under Armour makes a great base layer, I too use Sitka gear for my out layers. It's wind proof and keeps the cold away while not being bulky. It's not cheap, but will last a long time. Best of luck.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the info
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never tried any of the Sitka gear because I never wanted to spend that much money...in TN I don't have super cold weather anyway. I do use UA though and it is good stuff. I have some Rocky undergarments that work well also and were cheap in comparison. IMO, and from my experience, UA is the way to go though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.