Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question about planting Apple trees >

Question about planting Apple trees

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about planting Apple trees

Old 08-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Spike

Default Question about planting Apple trees

I live in Minnesota and im thinking about planting some apple trees on my land. What type of apple trees work best in the wild that need no to minimal pruning? I also heard that crabapple trees work well as a deer attractant.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

What youll want to do is visit a local tree nursrey and speak to a salesman. Let him know what youre looking for and he/she will get you going in the right direction. Youll want to make sure you plant them when they are dormant. So late fall works well once the leaves are off the trees. Also do not expect apples for the first 1-3 years depending on the age of the tree you plant.
Deer may only eat certain apples. I have several crab apple trees on my property that the deer will not touch at all. But as soon as I bring some apples from the trees at farm they are gone by the next morning. So be careful about what you plant. If youre looking for a good apple for deer, let the salesman know what youre looking for. Once you pay for the tree theres no bringing it back.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

If you have cedar trees in your area, skip that thought, they kill the apple trees. Another option is pear trees, but make sure you put a fence with 3 posts around them to keep the deer from feeding on them and allow them to grow. We have about a half dozen pear trees on our property and the deer love them.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman
If you have cedar trees in your area, skip that thought, they kill the apple trees. Another option is pear trees, but make sure you put a fence with 3 posts around them to keep the deer from feeding on them and allow them to grow. We have about a half dozen pear trees on our property and the deer love them.
There are many types of apple trees that aren't susceptible to ceder apple rust.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Disease resistant apple trees: http://www.cumminsnursery.com/disease.htm

I've planted Liberty, Macfree and two other varieties from Miller Nursery. Note that they are disease resistant, not immune to disease.

Harlason is an apple variety that was developed at the University of Minnesota (if I remember correctly) and was selected for surviving the cold weather. That would be my concern more than not needing pruning.
http://www.minnesotaharvest.net/apple_haralson.htm
Old 08-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Spike

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.