Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Property

Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Property

Well I came across some new land to hunt that looks great. The problem is the land is mainly a giant field of corn and grass and I can't find many trees for possible stands. It has a lot of awesome hardwoods bordering it, but I'm just not allowed to hunt it. Here is a few pictures for anybody who would like to give me some pointers on possible areas where they would hang a stand. I might have to hunt out of a blind which I have never done with archery equipment before.

Yellow= Corn
Blue = river running through hardwoods, lots of ridges.
Green= Grass
Green Outline is the border line I can hunt

Heres a Topo

Any opinions?

Thanks

-Sparrow
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

find where the deer are using most. ask the farmer if he has any big hay bails. stack them up near where the most used trails are and make a 15ft high hay blind. you need enough to give you a sturdy base and kinda build it up like a pyramid. you need to get it in there asap so the deer have time to get used to it. if thats to much hastle use a ground blind or a tripod but you need to get them in there soon so the deer get used to it unless there is good cover around where you want to put it. good luck.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally i would try to get one in this area of trees i outlined in pink. if there is one big enough. if not work a tripod stand in somehow.New Property-land.jpg
Old 08-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming most of your deer are going to be coming from the timber to the north. If this is the case, it looks like you have just a bit of timber where the corn and first grass field meets. I would start right there. Being from MI, you should have standing corn for at least a portion of your archery season. I grew up hunting corn fields in IN and love hunting standing corn. You could be in pretty good shape.

How tall is the grass fields? Are deer using them to bed in? Do the grass fields provide enough cover for a ground blind? I would start check the fields out in the evenings right now. Stay away and use either a spotting scope or good binoculars. Determine where your deer are entering the fields from and determine where they are going once they hit the fields. Then, if the grass fields provide enough cover, get yourself a good ground blind and get it set up to cut them off. Good luck this season!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Spike

hmm...if we could only hunt from underground...

i would suggest as blind.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the comments! The grass isn't tall only about a foot. If I was going to use a blind I was thinking about snugging it up to the treeline right by the fence next to where Mohunter outlined in pink. Where he outlined is exactly where I want to hunt but I just cant find squat for trees. I'm gonna try to see If I can make it work with a corner tree that sits overlooking the grass field, it is a huge tree with a ton of foilage. There is standing corn in front of it so I wouldnt have much of a shot until it gets cut because it sits right overtop of the corn. Maybe I need to climb it to see what kind of shooting lanes I could get in it. I'll see what I can do tonight and I'll get some pictures from in the stand.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

i have had good luck hunting fence rows. i hunt in michigan also and some of my tracks of land has no trees for a stand so i sit on the ground in a fence row. much more difficult but with a little prior planning you can make it work.

i hunt on the other side of the state and on one night no lie we had 4 guys hunting on all sides of a hay field and we had about 150 deer in the field in front of us with no shots because of where they entered the field. in this case the deer are not predictable and i hope that your deer are because when they do the same thing on a semi-consistent basis you can make a sit on the ground work for a short time to get a shot at a good buck.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

another thing to consider is getting in and out of your stand. i had to walk along the corn to get to a stand that i set up before it was planted and i could not do it because of noise and thickness. i had to wait untill it was cut to get in there.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

mohunter82 had the same idea I had.