Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadheads?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using Spitfire 100's for years and love them. They produce a large entry hole and a devastating exit hole. As for not being durable, that's not true. I've shot deer and sharpened, cleaned, and used the same broadhead to kill another one. I don't plan on changing anytime soon. Give them a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Use what makes you happy, you will feel more confidant. I've been using Muzzy Phantoms 220 grain for several years now and I love them, before I did use Grim Reapers, and they worked, I just like the heavy FOC.

Dance with the one that brung ya.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shota lot of different heads over the years. Here are some mech and fixed heads that I thought were best.

Mechs.
1.Rocket Steelhead--- Never found another mech head that outpenetrated a Steelhead despite all claims to the contrary. In fact these heads consistently penetrated as well or better than many fixed heads. Probably due to their more modest cutting diameter. The 100 grain is only about 1 1/8 inches and the 125 grain version has a 1 1/4 cutting diameter. Tough as nails however and flies exactly like a field tip because it's basically the same size as one.

2. Rocky Mt Snypers--- I have no idea why these things were not more popular but now they are being discontinued. They can still be found on e-bay and close out sales at some stores. They are essentially a forerunner of the Rage design only with a more reliable blade retention system, a less insane cutting diameter, and made of higher quality components. Second best penetrating mech head that I ever used and one of the few that I would recommend for virtually any bow regardless of power level. Oh yeah, they were about 15 dollars cheaper per 3 pack than the new rages as well.

Fixed heads.

Best flying fixed blade heads I've found.

1. Slick Tricks. Fly fantastic out of even the fastest bows. Four blades too so it makes a nasty hole.

2. Wac'Ems There are lot of heads out there now that have obviously purchased the rights to this design because I see many clones of it in other companies line up now. That should tell you something. Wac'ems are the original however and can still be found cheaper than many of the newer versions. Fly like a dart, tough and scary sharp.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Southeastern VA as well. And you probably know like I do that most of our shots are well inside of 25 yards. There are always exceptions, but I can tell you that the peace of mind that comes with a good, conservitive fixed blade head is nice. I shoot Slick Trick Mag 125gr heads.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Spike

I switched to the Shuttle T-Locks last year after not getting any penetration with the rage 2 blade. The shuttle Ts are great heads and shoot very well. I would recommend them to anyone looking to switch from mechs to fixed blades. I do keep a couple Spitfires in my quiver for turkey and coyotes. Its about as good of a mech as you will find. I have been doing some testing with the Atom heads too. They seem like they are a good head. I'll let you know after I shoot a early season doe with the Atoms.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only issue with the spitfire heads is they require more energy to open than most heads.So,if using a lower energy setup,stay away from them.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Spike

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I am going this week to settle this once and for all. I will have my new broadheads to practice with this month before our Oct. kickoff. I'll let you know what i pick!!