Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Scent control and rubber boots >

Scent control and rubber boots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control and rubber boots

Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent control and rubber boots

I am curious if most guys that wear rubber boots store them in an air tight device (bag or bin) between hunts or if you think they are fine sitting in the back of the truck with a spray down before going into the woods. I keep my late season boots in a bag because they are not completely rubber, but I am wondering if the rubber boots are okay to leave out.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

i leave mine on the porch or when it gets cold in the truck and spray them down when i head to the woods. they say if you spray them it makes the rubber smell stand out but i haven't had anything spook from it
Old 08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

I myself use a scent called cover-scent.I spray mine before i go into the woods and when i'm done hunting i set then on the porch then spray them again before going in the woods haven't had any problems that i know of i even had deer walk on the same path with there nose to the ground and made nothing of it .
Old 08-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I leave mine in my shed, this thread reminds me though I have to get them out pretty soon, and then dig in my shed and find out what died in there....theres a terrible stench in there. Im thinking that damned woodchuck crawled under the shed and died.......
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I've never worn anything else (except rubber boots), while deer hunting. I spray down.....but I've had two occurrences that make me wonder how much we can actually depend on them being "scent-free".

1. I walked through a pasture beside the house one morning to set up on a ridge (trying to ambush a family group of 4 does that were traveling through every morning). I look up at first light to see my family cat stalking the exact trail I walked in on. I could tell by the displaced dew where I had walked.

2. I had a doe and twin fawns some in when I was sitting on the opposite corner of the pasture one evening. The fawns were running around playing......until they got to my entrance route. They both stopped and stuck their noses to the ground and walked right up to the base of my tree.

Now I know they don't have to smell me or my boots (they can discern displaced earth/broken grasses and twigs), but both of these instances make me wonder how much we actually can do to mask our egress.

As hot as it is in NC, early season, I might elect to wear some lighter kicks in the early season this year. Comfort means a lot when it's in the 80's.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything that I wear or pack into the woods is stored in an airtight bin - and is usually sprayed down again anyway.