Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Proper bow form, left arm gets tired...? >

Proper bow form, left arm gets tired...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proper bow form, left arm gets tired...?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Proper bow form, left arm gets tired...?

Any ideas why my left arm (I shoot right handed so I'm holding the bow with my left) is what determines how long I shoot? My left shoulder (deltoid muscle) gets tired even though I'm drawing the bow with my right arm/back. Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong with my grip, draw, anchor anything that may cause this, or is it normal?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Wub
Typical Buck

I get the same thing. Do you lock your left arm or is it slightly bent? Mine is slightly bent, but I don't know if thats proper. I taught myself how to shoot the bow so I'm probably doing all kinds of things improperly. Normally, my eye sight starts to get a little blurry by about the same time my arm gets tired. Someone suggested a larger peep sight for that problem so I had that added with a new string and I'm picking it up today.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to post pics but it sounds as though you are pulling your shoulder up,instead of back into the socket forming good bone to bone contact.Too much arm bend will cause fatigue in the arm and maybe the shoulder.

Another possibility is you do have bone to bone contact but your arm is straight and the draw length is too short causing undo stress.(I have done this myself)

BUT,these are only speculations without some pics.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont forget to take slight breaks either. you dont need to shoot like the energy bunny to be good. remember your training for a single shot. I shoot in groups of 3-5 arrows. then take your time looking at you hits and how they hit.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've never added pics before but let's see if this works...I just took a couple and while they probably aren't in focus they'll give you an idea at least of how my form is. I'm self taught as well so any tips would be great!
Attached Thumbnails Proper bow form, left arm gets tired...?-img_0092.jpg   Proper bow form, left arm gets tired...?-img_0091.jpg  
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

First,don't pull the bow back without an arrow.

Looks like your arm is locked out and you are actually pushing your shoulder forward instead of letting it come back into place(bone to bone).That may explain the shoulder soreness.These things cause tension,you need to relax.

Some other issues I see is your bow hand needs to be turned out.You need to turn your wrist and forearm outward to about a 45 deg angle.

You need to relax the bow arm,turn the wrist and forearm out,allow the shoulder to come back(NOT UP) into the socket.This should help with fatigue and soreness.

Once you do these things,you will see your anchors change on your face.You should be able to lower your release hand which should allow for a more solid acnhor on your face and allow the string to touch your nose and corner of your mouth.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-11-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

This illustrates what I am trying to explain perfectly.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your draw length could be a tad long.... but I agree w/ all of what Tfox said.

One question, how do your draw? Straight back? or do you put the bow up in the air and pull down against it?

Also, how much do you shoot? Is it just that you're not in good 'bow' shape? I know if I take a long time off from shooting I get fatigued faster.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would work on the things I mentioned before touching the draw length,I think it will be fine once you make the adjustments I stated earlier.

However,I would also suggest shortening your release a little.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

TFOX, I should turn my bow hand out 45 degrees. Do you mean the bow should really only touch the webbing in between my thumb and fore finger? and the rest of my hand shouldn't even touch the grip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.