Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How do you apply your deer lure ? >

How do you apply your deer lure ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you apply your deer lure ?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Banned

I don't; Lures, Urines, and cover scents are a waste of $$.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Wub
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ahunter55
When we go out we ALWAYs lay scent trails.
Do you mean no matter what part of the season it is you always use sex scent? October, Novermber... February? They always follow it?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

We start our hunting (usually) mid Oct. in N.W Ill. & N.E. Iowa.
We use it from then on. Our season goes into Jan.. if we are still Bowhunting in late season-yes, we use the same scent.

In Ill. after the Gun seasons we usually don't venture out until after Christmas-takes Deer time to settle down again.
Our Iowa Bow season runs all through Nov. I Bowhunt very little after that as I've become a fair weather hunter in my old age.
I killed 2 Deer last year-1 just b/4 Thanksgiving that followed my scent trail & 1 in Jan. that did not. I did not hunt any in Oct. as my wife was very sick,

Don't get me wrong-in our day, my brother & I were out there right up till Gun season-1st day after & if it was 40 mile an hour winds & 6' of snow & 10 below we still went. You know-your a little nuts when your younger & I was that way until about 55.
I will be 68 in Nov...
Old 08-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

There is realy no wrong or right way when using lure/scent. What we are playing around with is how thermals might play a roll in deer smelling it. As we all know thermals rise in the mornings unless low presure. In the evening around 2 to 3 pm thermals drop.
By placing the lure/scent on the ground in the am would deer come more to catching a wiff of it or not. Same for the pm would deer smell it as thermals drop and the scent be going to the ground. Most of us do use use drag rags the best way I have found over the years is to do like Rackdaddy advised.
Anyone have any thoughts on this to help out.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say you should probably place the scent low to the ground in the morning, and around three feet off the ground in the evening.
My scent provider claims you should place scent on each side of your stand and in front of you at two different heights, one at 1 1/2 and one at 3 1/2 ft.
He claims this method will cover more area and increase your chances of game picking up the scent.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Spike

Personally, to be scent free, I wash all of my hunting clothes in Scent Away laundrey detergent. Then I spray them all down with Earth Scent, and throw them in a plastic tub with earth scent wafers. I wont put my hunting clothes on until I'm ready to head in the bush.

As far as scent trails go, I simply tie a piece of string to a tampon, pour my Tinks right on it and drag it right behind me towards my stand. I also get film cartridges and drill holes all around it, fill it with cotton balls and spray some Tinks inside, put the lid back on, and then hang them on a limb of a tree about chest high.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

B i got scent wafers i hang from a branch but this year im gonna make some mock scrapes so im gonna try tinks on the ground
Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm putting some video clips together for Wub to see what I was telling how my brother & I do it. My 1st actual video is probably 1989 when we started video taping our fun times together.