Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Practicing for deer hunting. What is your routine! >

Practicing for deer hunting. What is your routine!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing for deer hunting. What is your routine!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Practicing for deer hunting. What is your routine!

I shoot everday being a tournament archer.

But guys lets face facts. Hunting the first shot is what always counts.

There is no warming up. Often were sitting for hours before ashot comes.

I go outside and pick a spot and shot one arrow and will do this quite often using my broadheads. Only thing better would be if I had an elevated latform which I am considering. Or shoot off the top of the house.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do this often. I have 3D targets out back ranging from 20 to 60 yards and some betweeners. I step out back and pick a target, shoot one arrow and done.

I can also shoot from my deck though it's only elevated 11'.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wow

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
I do this often. I have 3D targets out back ranging from 20 to 60 yards and some betweeners. I step out back and pick a target, shoot one arrow and done.

I can also shoot from my deck though it's only elevated 11'.

Now thats one nice set up.
DB
Old 08-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Of course there is so much more in bow hunting than simply being able to hit your target, but I like to practice all scenarios. For instance I like to shoot sitting flat on the ground shooting, standing up in a stand, shooting from the knees, one thing I like to do is sit on my bench and lean back 45 % and shoot. You never know what situation you will encounter going to and from your stand.
I learned this from missing a 200 class buck early in my bow hunting career ( 40+years) by leaning forward to get a shot and missing my anchor point.

Practice like a golfer, every shot you can imagine!
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still a nice setup there rob.

Last edited by jim1966; 08-09-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Spike

I practice with my bow as often as I can. I don`t want to have to think about anything when the moment of truth is there. I want to have shot so many arrows, that everything comes automatically for me. I want to go to "auto pilot" so to speak. Plus I want the confidence to know that I can make the shot when it presents its self. Being confident on stand is everything!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OklaBowhunter
Now thats one nice set up.
DB

x10!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

im with the rev on this one. i dont care if its 90 degrees i'll still go out in full camo and everything to practice. of camber shots 5 yard shots 40 yard shots you name it. I want to be ready for whatever may come.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot every day.....and hope my repetition bodes well when the moment of truth arises.

The more times I can put the correct sight picture in my mind and execute, the better off I am.

I practice from my own home range for form.....and to ingrain sight picture for particular yardages. Although I shoot traditional, I don't think I'd call what I do "instictual". I think it's based on memorization of a particular sight picture.

I'm adding a ladder stand to my range, tomorrow, and I'll shoot a LOT of arrows from there in the coming 5 weeks. Right now....this is what I'm using....

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tnt1960
I practice with my bow as often as I can. I don`t want to have to think about anything when the moment of truth is there. I want to have shot so many arrows, that everything comes automatically for me. I want to go to "auto pilot" so to speak. Plus I want the confidence to know that I can make the shot when it presents its self. Being confident on stand is everything!
I get what you are saying, but at the same time, that hurts in some situations as well...

I think having some kind of mental shot routine really helps not only to keep your mind focused on the shot, but to keep your nerves down and confidence up. I cant say that ive bowhunted as long as many of you guys on here(this will be my 9th bow season) but i do remember the days when I did the whole autopilot thing and it failed... You see the big buck and everything starts to speed up in your mind, and adrenaline kicks in and it all happens. And after the shot, you think "I cant even remember it happening". For me, Ive found that I have much more confidence and stability if I go through a tiny mental check list. Nothing that is time consuming, just a quick thought to make sure of good anchor, bend at the waist, not creeping into the valley etc...

Im sure everyones process is different, and by no means am i trying to preach

I have a ladder stand in the back yard, and do the same as everyone else. Try and make good single shots in the unorthadox positions...

Its getting close!!! Sept 5th here!

Derek