Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
tree stand location ??? >

tree stand location ???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree stand location ???

Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

Default tree stand location ???

hey we have a powerline cut that goes through our land and its all cattails with runs goin everywhere through them. i was just wondering if it would be a good idea to cut some nice trails through them and hang some treestands right on the edge, thinking the deer will use the cut trails rather then fighting to get through the thick cattails ? we just got this land a week before bow season last year, so we are still trying to find the deer patterns. we were also thinking about putting in to small plots right in front of our stands (in the cattails) for bow season. let me know what you guys think.

THANKS
Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

from my experience in hunting cattails. (very limited) I notice that it is hard to hunt in them but better to set up where you can see a few different trails coming out of the cattails into the woods. Deer use these cattails (especially bucks) in my area to bed and hide. A small food plot may work if you can get it to grow they will feel safe feeding in there but once you shoot one i think they may shy away for a little while. who knows give it a try
Old 08-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Spike

hey sounds like it would work. where i hunt they logged out some trees along the creek and i thought the deer would not be back for atleast another year but it actually is better than before. the created a funnel along the creek and the deer use the path the used to cut trees
Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Spike

well were planning on putting our stands right on their runs that go from the cattails to our woods and cut a path right on their run. we figured they would still feel very safe and use the 5 foot trail rather then making a new run ? well i guess it wont hurt to give it a try !!!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

id set it back a couple of yards in the wood line just to keep my outline down. and also a couple yards off the trail so to give a better broadside shot. as for trails they will use whichever one suits their needs at the time.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

As always the wind is the most important consideration.I'd look for the spots where the wind direction is most consistent in relation to their travel patterns and work it out from there.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Spike

i recommend not setting up right on top of the trail that you cut. if they use the trail, the deer will approach you head on (this angle has no shot and the highest chance that the deer will spot you up in the tree), the deer may walk right by or near the tree you are in (also no shot and the deer could catch a wiff of your scent), and lastly when they deer is walking away from you, its butt will be facing you (another no shot situtation). I advise to set up in a tree that is within good shooting distance from your trail that you cut. Also, if the cattails are pretty tall, i would say to cut some shooting lanes in them so your arrow doesn't hit a cattail right before impact. in the fall those cattail like to bend in the wind pretty easy, since they are so top heavy.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Spike

yeah we put the treesatnds about 15 yards to our left...and we also have a going along side of our woods a little shy of 15 yards...so the wat its set up, we should get plenty of good shot opportunities. (if they do use the trails)

thanks for yall given some advice !