Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Fall food plot question >

Fall food plot question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fall food plot question

Old 08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Sure they will work, but your paying top dollar for something you can probably find right down the street. Just a little hint for you though, about 90% of the time it doesn't matter which seed company you buy from or if its just seed the local co-op, the secret is in how the ground is prepared. Hows your PH-levels? weed content? Relitively dry or wet soil? Is it sand, clay, or dark soil? How much sun-light is going to get? These are all important questions to be asking yourself and finding out if you want to have a sucessful plot.. Some times you get lucky but I know if I was paying that kind of money for "special" seed from for instance whitetail Institute, then I would have all my ducks in row.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you take a rake and clear the area well, as well as rough up the soil, you should get no plow to work. the secret is good seed to soil contact. Go onto the Biologic website and read about some of the products, don't be afraid to call them, they are really helpful and will take 10 mins. to answer any of your questions. Another thing you can do is throw down a few bags of lime and work it into the soil if possible. Best of luck.

Shane
Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by joemr1288
Would gander mountain carry seeds for like wheat and turnips and that sort of thing or not? Cause I don't know of anywhere else around me here in Kalamazoo that I could go to buy that stuff short of ordering it offline but then I have to pay for shipping. And you said brassicas are good to toss in with other seeds and stuff, but what is brassica? I have never heard of that. I did find something online at gander mountain called: Evolved Harvest Throw & Gro Food Plot Seed. Its description is this: Create a personal food plot to attract and hold deer where you want to hunt. Throw & Gro is a potent mixture of forage plant seeds, including tetraploid ryegrass, clovers, and rape brassica. Throw & Gro can be planted in the spring and fall without discing, even in areas not accessible to heavy equipment. A 5-lb. bag covers 1/4 acre. If any of you have experience with this or know someone that has could you let me know if it works relatively well or not? Thanks
I tried throw and gro with very poor results.. All that came up is the rye with none of the brassicas coming up.

I have been doing a lot of research on the internet and this is what I have found.

Go to your local feed store(coop) and buy a little bit of each: rape,purple top turnips,kale which are brassicas.Maybe some winter wheat, winter oats,austrian winter peas,.This is depending on if you want your plot annual.
If you want perennial. Clovers like Red, White.If you plant these now you might want to add some of the brassicas so the deer have something to eat during hunting season.

Going to the coop will probally be cheaper because you could just buy a 1/4 pound of each and then mix it together.

I know I just told you to go to the coop. But I planted some Antler King Mini-Max a week ago and it is already almost and inch high.I planted it because I got it on sale before I started doing the research.

Last edited by fishstuffer; 08-13-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

Joe I am also from the kalamazoo area I live near Three Rivers. If you drive down this way there is a co-op in Constantine and also one in Mendon. They can get you whatever seed you need and your lime fertilizer and potash.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Walmart has a wide variety of what your looking for. Just look at the different bags to see what's in them. Most of them have multple seeds in them already. Most of the bags I've seen here are $9.99
Good Luck and I would plant now.