Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question! Please help! >

Question! Please help!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question! Please help!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question! Please help!

Ok I bought my wife a Diamond Razor Edge the other night at bass pro.. They had her sighted in at 20yd. before we left.. We got home and shot a couple days and she decided she want to increase the draw weight.. I got to looking at it and the top limb wasnt screwed in near as much as the bottom. Shouldnt they be tightened equal amounts? Also I noticed that when in full draw her arrow seems to point down a good bit, not level. Shouldnt your arrow be fairly level when at full draw?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cannonw24
Ok I bought my wife a Diamond Razor Edge the other night at bass pro..

What did you expect bro?

Find you a good pro shop and suck up the labor costs. Otherwise you'll never have a straight shooting bow. You can and will find some good people at big box stores... but you just never know. There are hacks at pro shops too.... but you don't have the high turnover that you'll find at big box stores. Most pro shop owners that have made it and been established have reputations to go with them... Just ask around in your area... you'll figure out who to trust pretty fast.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Spike

yea my buddy bought a brand new bow at cabelas a few years back, 800 bucks later he had to replace the string 3 times and it still is not right. i told him the same advice go to a REAL pro shop
Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I got to looking at it and the top limb wasnt screwed in near as much as the bottom. Shouldnt they be tightened equal amounts?
Yes, they should be equal, or darn close depending on tiller. Worst case, bottom them out and turn them out equally to her desired poundage. That should be very easy for you to do.

Also I noticed that when in full draw her arrow seems to point down a good bit, not level. Shouldnt your arrow be fairly level when at full draw?
Your arrow should be fairly level to level when the bow is at rest. How are you determining level at full draw? Is it she may be pointing the bow not level?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

I determined that it wasnt level by the angle of the arrow to the slide bar when she is at full draw. I love the bow for her, she just started shooting a few days ago and can shoot the crap out of it actually split an arrow earlier today.. I know I need to take it to a good pro shop, I would just really love to learn to set my own bows up which i have always done, but on my own bows I have have the poundage maxed out so thats not an issue. I have a neighbor who has owned a shop for many many years. I will try to get by and talk to him.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I determined that it wasnt level by the angle of the arrow to the slide bar when she is at full draw. I love the bow for her, she just started shooting a few days ago and can shoot the crap out of it actually split an arrow earlier today.. I know I need to take it to a good pro shop, I would just really love to learn to set my own bows up which i have always done, but on my own bows I have have the poundage maxed out so thats not an issue. I have a neighbor who has owned a shop for many many years. I will try to get by and talk to him.

Could be an optical illusion. How's the arrow look with the bow at rest?

Good luck, great bow by the way.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Why would (I have NO IDEA) every compound bow not be tillered "equally"?
Old 08-07-2009, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Why would (I have NO IDEA) every compound bow not be tillered "equally"?
It would be tillered equally as in equal "weight" on both limbs but you may have to adjust the limb bolts differently to adjust for any minor variances between limbs, if any.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
It would be tillered equally as in equal "weight" on both limbs but you may have to adjust the limb bolts differently to adjust for any minor variances between limbs, if any.

Quite right.

Jeff you've probably shopped around and checked out some custom made longbows and recurves.... and you'll frequently see an option for tillering a bow for a shooter who shoots three under vs split finger.... that has to do with where the center of the bow is vs where the arrow is placed and where the bow is drawn from. Its like a see-saw with unequal sides or a unequally weighted riders. You can tiller a bow to pull equally... and you'll notice your draw becomes much much smoother, despite only a 1/4# drop in draw weight.... it will often shoot a lot better too (thats the point of course).

As Bruce mentioned too... top and bottom limbs (and left and right halves on split limb bows) are often not exactly of the same deflection... in fact on most split limb bows I have had to reconstruct.... they are different.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

thanks you guys