Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Have a Problem!! >

Have a Problem!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have a Problem!!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have a Problem!!

Before I know it it will be time to welcome in my hunting buddy's for the second annual hunt with wild's outfitters(Ben/pa, Rob,pa, and hopefully Matt/pa). Last year Rob and us guys discussed moving the stand that Rob hunted and we agreed. Now Bare with me I am a little behind this year due to family issues and moving to a new house!
Anyways back to the story the stand I need to go and get out and move is consumed by poison oak all over the tree! So my question is how to get the damn stand out or do I say screw it buy a new one and wait till winter? The poison is all the way up the tree and around the stand!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

Better question, are you allergic to poision ivy and if so how bad? Me personally id put on some jeans, boots long sleeve shirt and gloves and duck tape the gloves to the shirt, and wear a hat and face mask if its that bad and climb up there and get it, id want to have that stand some place else before the season starts
Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

There is a spray that I've seen in lawn and garden sections of most store that supposedly kills poison ivy. Might give that a try. My guess is spray it, let if work for a week or so and then move it if it did the job.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter. You can get it in the winter just as easy in the summer when it is exposed above snow and such like that. Just be careful, wear full cloths and gloves and when done take everything off being careful and toss it in the wash machine right away. Gloves are the last thing to come off. Luckily I've had poison ivy so many times when I was younger I'm almost 100% immune to it. I can run through huge patches of it and I'm lucky if I even get a couple bumps but when I was young I would get it terrible.Don't know about poison oak on me though. Good luck. WCL
Old 08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could probably kill it with rock salt and that might even be an attractant for deer.

The thing with poison ivy and oak is the poisonous oil is what cause the allergic reaction but it usually takes time to have an effect.Carry some water with you and a change of clothes.IMMEDIATELY after removing the stand,wash with soap and water and change clothes and put the old clothes in a bag and wash them immediately.

I have had stands in the past that I had to immerge my hands in the stuff to remove and I washed within minutes and I was fine.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

The HD roundup they sell at Lowe's will kill it. It'll be brown and dead inside of a week. I sprayed quite a bit of poison ivy, here, a few weeks ago.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go get It Tim. Scrub your hands and body up good when done, put the clothes In the washer 1st though before you rinse your hands off.

Good luck with It and good luck this fall!! Good seeing you around, take care!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:44 AM
Spike

Just a thought

Would the oil from the Ivy be on the stand? I feel that if you didn't wash it off then when you sat on the stand you could get the oil on your skin and end up with it any way. I don't know if rain water would take care of this or not?

Jeff
Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Noy sure but you could cut it off at the ground? Wear gloves and pull it down out of the tree? Limits your exposure anyway? Just a thought. Goodluck .
Old 08-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I find a tree that I like to set a stand in with posion Ivy. I put on a white Tyvek suit and rubber gloves. Cut the vines at the bottom and just pull them off. When done just take off the paper Tyvek and rubber glove and throw out! You can get the Tyvek suits and Lowes or Home Depot!

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.