Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
I need some scouting tips. >

I need some scouting tips.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need some scouting tips.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Spike

Default I need some scouting tips.

I know it's early, and it's hot out, but I can not control my eagerness to get out. I've been scouting out a field of corn and alfalfa trying to see the general area most deer come out. I've been seeing the same 5 buck come from the same two runs. I'm staying a good distance away from these runs to prevent spooking the deer. But closer to the season I've wanted to scout closer to these runs. Good idea? or should I wait to surprise them on the first day? Any tips would be helpful.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

If you can scout from a distance and learn their travel patters I would stay out and then suprise them opening morning, if the wind is right.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Spike

when I scout this time of year I break out the rubber boots and scent lock. I am hanging stands next week. This is the best time to get the stands up and shooting lanes cut if you have not done it already. The trick for me is to locate the food and then the bedding areas and pick a spot between. The patterns will not be the same in the rut so I also look for good cover. Find the does and you have found the bucks. Good Luck
Old 08-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do something interesting to keep your interest up. Keep a log of your scouting, record date, time, temp, wind direction, moon phase, and location they emerge from. Then on opening morning you'll have the best chance to be in the right spot at the right time.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Spike

I would keep a log of when i see them, time them and get to know the habits of the deer. If you are planning on putting up a stand now is the time to do it! You aren't putting alot of pressure on them and if you do spook them its early and they will be back to their habits before the season. You really need to get everything done now before the season opens. That is when spooking them is a risk. Check out my site and if you have more questions email me at [email protected]

myspace.com/swampghosts
Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I would get a little close to find a stand location, or even hang a stand...IMO