Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New to Farmland Bow hunting couple of questions please comment. >

New to Farmland Bow hunting couple of questions please comment.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Farmland Bow hunting couple of questions please comment.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default New to Farmland Bow hunting couple of questions please comment.

I have been bow hunting for a while now with some success, but mostly in Northern Michigan. I was able to lease property in the south closer to home where the big bucks roam. However I just wanted some feedback on the particulars of this farm and any ideas for farm hunting you might have.

The farm and farms near by are planted with beans. of the 30 arces wooded most trees do not produce mast crops.

Question: when the beans are harvested what plan of attach would you take?

Question: normally when will the beans be harvested. Is it usually late October?

Thanks TAMBO
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

well im a farmer from Southern Illinois and i dont know if the farming is any differrent up that way than it is here but depending on what group of beans they were and when they were planted i would say the end of October maybe even the end of November. Farmers will shell corn before they start on beans. When its been to wet down here we have actually left some crops in the field until the first freeze or until it dries up.

Last edited by Down&OutHunting; 08-05-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now in my part of central wisconsin, the beans are off well before the corn. The deer will still raveg through the bean fields looking for any missed or dropped beans. Once the beans are gone theyll focus on the corn fields. If you have any of them near you, set up in a corner along a cornfield and wood line.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 AM
Spike

here in north west ohio beans come off in september to early october and if the weather stays like this corn will come off in the end of october
Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Man i wish i could farm in Ohio. Id get to do alot more hunting
Old 08-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know when the bean harvest starts in your area but a good tactic for beans or corn is evening hunts. Lots of guys spook bucks they never knew where there heading to feed fields on opening morning. Bachlor groups will bed down and feed through the night getting one last fill up before first light. If you must hunt the am I wouldn't get within 500 yards of the feed field and hunt a funnel heading back to (buck) bedding areas.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MOTOWNHONKEY
Don't know when the bean harvest starts in your area but a good tactic for beans or corn is evening hunts. Lots of guys spook bucks they never knew where there heading to feed fields on opening morning. Bachlor groups will bed down and feed through the night getting one last fill up before first light. If you must hunt the am I wouldn't get within 500 yards of the feed field and hunt a funnel heading back to (buck) bedding areas.

Chris is right.

And beans are hard to beat right now. Through the summer months and before they turn brown, and even shortly after deer are in beans heavy. Your best bet is to have a very good entrance and particularly an exit route in order NOT to spook deer going in or coming out.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will get deer on beans from a month ago (or more) until season end. Even after they cut them. The trick is knowing where they are bedding during the day and having a killer way in and out.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

My only advice would be to stay off the edges if you can help it. Last year I sat right on top of a bean field and saw a ton of deer, but couldn't get a shot off with 20 pairs of eyes on me. If I had set up about 30 yards back on a trail, I probably would have had a much better chance.

Live and learn I guess.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Brian K
My only advice would be to stay off the edges if you can help it. Last year I sat right on top of a bean field and saw a ton of deer, but couldn't get a shot off with 20 pairs of eyes on me. If I had set up about 30 yards back on a trail, I probably would have had a much better chance.

Live and learn I guess.
Live and Learn is correct....You CAN hunt edges, you just have to pick the right tree with alot of back cover to break you up and get off the ground further than 12 feet. It's a awesome set up if done correct.