Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
For all you antelope hunters? >

For all you antelope hunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For all you antelope hunters?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default For all you antelope hunters?

Hi there, we were going antelope hunting for the last weekend of the season and were wondering if the antelope liked salt? Or like black magic? We went at the beginning of the season and saw lots of antelope, but couldn't get them within range of a bow... If you have tried it... please let me know!

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The primary ranch that I hunt on here in eastern CO. has cattle salt blocks on it at each water source, and I can't say that I've ever witnessed an antelope standing over the salt lick, and using it.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You mean Pronghorn?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think he means goats .
Old 08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

speed goat, prairie goat, antelope, and pronghorn. One in the same in these parts. Stop at a ranchers place and ask to hunt pronghorn around here, and you'd get a funny look!!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Howler
speed goat, prairie goat, antelope, and pronghorn. One in the same in these parts. Stop at a ranchers place and ask to hunt pronghorn around here, and you'd get a funny look!!

LOL, I knew what he meant, I was poking fun. When I was in WY for my elk hunt, they referred to them as Prairie Maggots.

Just an FYI for anyone who doesn't know. They are actually called the American Pronghorn. They are unrelated to any animal on the face of the planet. They are not a goat, nor an antelope nor related to either. They are a species all to themselves. The American Pronghorn otherwise known as all the above mentioned. Kinda neat if you ask me.

Last edited by Rob/PA Bowyer; 08-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHA Pronghorn antelope, whatever you wanna call em! We never got anything, but it was fun! I learned that they have eyes coming out every side of their head LOL! They see everything! The salt didn't work either, although I only had it out for a day. Thanks again guys!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I lived in Montana several years ago for a way too brief 18 months, and only got to hunt antelope one season...(with a rifle) gasp! But elk had my attention during bow season. However...if I were ever going to hunt speed goats with a bow, I'd totally go the deke route. I've seen bucks run challenger bucks away from their herd and it's crazy to watch. I personally would find that way more enjoyable than baking in a ground blind near a water hole (or salt block).
Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
LOL, I knew what he meant, I was poking fun. When I was in WY for my elk hunt, they referred to them as Prairie Maggots.

I have heard guides in Wyo call them that too. that and Prairie Pests

Ive never tried salt, but water and decoys seem to be the best route with bows. That and trying to hang close to opening in long fence rows, the funnel down at these openings as they typically dont like to jump fences.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

i call them meat lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.