Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Can I increase the weight of my bow myself? >

Can I increase the weight of my bow myself?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can I increase the weight of my bow myself?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Can I increase the weight of my bow myself?

If I just turn the screw on each limb equally, will it turn out OK, or should this really be professionally done?

I had my bow up around 80 lbs in high school, didn't shoot it for years, and recently had it restrung and tuned up. The guy set it at about 63, but I'd like to go a little higher now that I've been pulling that for a while. The archery shop is a long drive.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
If I just turn the screw on each limb equally, will it turn out OK, or should this really be professionally done?

You can easily do that yourself.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Spike

be sure to turn them equally and know how much a turn turns the bow to
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Spike

what i do is make a lil scrap on the bolt and the bow so when the scrap lines up i know for sure it was one turn...makes it a lot easier!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is also easier, IMHO, to turn it all the way up on both sides and then down equally on each side so you know that both sides are equal.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
It is also easier, IMHO, to turn it all the way up on both sides and then down equally on each side so you know that both sides are equal.
Be very careful doing this, because where your limbs bottom out may not be a good reference point. You could really mess up your Tiller length.

Trust me. I know from experience. I did this and it turned out my tiller was off by over 1/8" when my limbs were bottomed out, and I couldn't tune my bow for the life of me. I had to completely re-tune my bow after getting my tiller right, but it's nothing you cant' reverse.

If you're not comfortable re-tuning on your own, just mark a line on your limb nut to your limb so you can turn each nut exactly the same, if you do it right you may not have to do any additional tuning.

Also, I don't recomment turning you're bow up a lot at once, depending on your arrow set-up 63 lbs should be plenty for deer. Calculate your KE before you go increasing the draw weight, when you have to draw from an awkward position while hunting the extra weight could make you move a whole lot.