Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are older bows to slow/loud with today's deer >

Are older bows to slow/loud with today's deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are older bows to slow/loud with today's deer

Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I bet the traditional guys would love this post........
Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy started hunting with an old 1982 Hoyt he bought used, the year before I bought my new PSE in 1994. My bow shot around 230fps to his turtles pace of 171fps. Recently I have finally caught up to him, not passing him yet, in the department of tagging deer. He switched to a new Parker about 4 years ago and hasn't got one with his new bow. Moral of the story is #1 high percentage shots within your comfort zone #2 out smart deer...
So I would say NO to your question!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

"even though the deer are becoming quicker and are still jumping the string." Deer will keep jumping the string as long as people keep shooting at alert/on the edge deer.

Although come to think of it, maybe the deer are getting faster than a speeding bullet, quicker the speed of light, able to jump tall buildings with every body dumping out "c'mere deer", deer cane "black majic", buck juice, and n-raged feed all over the place for them to eat.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to say no to this qurstion as well. As long as the older bow is tuned up and the sight as well as arrow rest are still working fine. I see no issues with getting deer with it. I just retired my old bow this past winter. It was an old Bear Bruin and I have shot a few deer with it. As stated before as long as the deer are not real alert then it doesn't matter at all.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I promise you my sights are working well and my bow/arrow are tuned. I'm shooting 182fps and I'll report back in about 6-8wks and let you know if it's capable!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Ive been thinking, this isnt a question of bows at all. ITs a genetics question. As we hunt more and more we kill the dumber and slower deer off constantly, this leaves only the stronger, faster and more genetically superior deer. So as time passes we are going to have to constantly keep getting better technology. Sorry guys using traditional and old bows, but that fact is that ur not gonna be able to hunt the SUPER deer we have now.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

LMBO !! Sorry for you! But up here with our low deer populations compounded with predators and even in some cases poaching and hard winters. show me a dumb deer.. Those old bows can still do the trick LOL! As I stated I just retired my old bow but I could still shoot deer with it.. I went for something lighter and with an easier let off while drawing it back more than anything else. I like the new speed of my newer bow but that really wasn't a factor to me.. If you grab a bow that is around 20 years old or so and grab one now there is a big difference though. But to say an older bow wouldn't work, sorry but it sure will..
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

This thread is hilarious.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
LMBO !! Sorry for you! But up here with our low deer populations compounded with predators and even in some cases poaching and hard winters. show me a dumb deer.. Those old bows can still do the trick LOL! As I stated I just retired my old bow but I could still shoot deer with it.. I went for something lighter and with an easier let off while drawing it back more than anything else. I like the new speed of my newer bow but that really wasn't a factor to me.. If you grab a bow that is around 20 years old or so and grab one now there is a big difference though. But to say an older bow wouldn't work, sorry but it sure will..
Sorry Sorry Sorry,,, But Phil and Gmat I was really not being serious, lol
Old 08-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Those bows killed deer back in the day and can kill them today. Actually, Im currently looking for an old Jennings Carbon Extreme for a back up bow.

Last edited by The Outdoorsman; 08-03-2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: adding text

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.