Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing Trees

Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Spike

Default Climbing Trees

I have not worn a safety harness in the past. This year I am purchasing a HSS vest and plan on wearing it every hunt.

Do you guys strap in and use a linemans belt on the way up, or strap in once on stand. Also, if using a linemans, how do you stay connected while getting onto your platform?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not advocating what I do...But I don't secure to the tree until I'm up, I will use it on the way down most times.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

I use mine once I get up. I don't wear it on the way up or down. And I make sure I put it on if I have to adjust my platform once up in the tree.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

Before you step into your stand you shoold hook up your saftey
strap and unhook your linemanes belt.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default x2

Originally Posted by jag-mag
Before you step into your stand you shoold hook up your saftey strap and unhook your lineman's belt.
x2. You should use the lineman's belt.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I use the HSS vest, but I use it with the rope and prussic knot that came with my Summit Viper. I second I step onto the platform I adjust it around the tree and hook up the strap in back As I move up the tree, I push the rope up over my head as high as possible, then climb to it. I don't use the lineman's belt set-up that's hooks at the waist, I found it to be too much of a pain the a$$ to deal with.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I'm also one of those that hook up once up the tree, except on certain types of trees that are harder to climb... I know it's not "right, safe" way to be, just telling the truth.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

you should be connected at all times when you leave the ground you never know when you might slip or fall. I have had some near misses.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to use it while putting in the steps/hanging the stand.Most often I don't use it afterward while climbing up/down but I attach it to the tree before I step into the stand.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

i use the summit prussic knot and rope system...easy and works for me...

i have to get back into my habit of putting that rope on as soon as i step into my climber...i was lazy a few times last season...truthfully, if there would be an accident, i bet for me it would be when im hugging the tree 20ft up trying to swing the rope around and catch it at 0430 and got 2hrs sleep and didnt put on my layers yet so im half shivering and trying to be quiet and all that...but thats usually the time im lazy...only takes a second and is easier to do at the base of the tree....

but im guilty of it...coming down its always attached because its already attached and i just slide it down with me...