Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Walk through it, or go around it? >

Walk through it, or go around it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walk through it, or go around it?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I suppose if you give the caveats of:

1. I can only hunt it in the AM.....and I AM going to hunt it.

&

2. I'll take my chances on buggering it up, because if I don't....someone else will.

Then.....like you say....don't be skeered!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

I would never walk an edge of a tree line without being in the corn. While they like bedding in the corn... they love bedding and milling right along the tree's edge that borders a standing corn field. It would be suicide to walk inside a tree edge to get to a spot even for a PM hunt.
Might be suicide in ND, but here in Virginia its common sense. Most corn fields here are surronded by mature hardwoods, or loblolly pines. Since the corn isn't planted butt up against the woods, there's normall a 15-30 foot boarder of just grass. You can walk it as quietly and stealtly as can be, without being in the woods, or the corn.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you have been giving some sound advice on how some of us would hunt it. Up here I would rather travel along the edge as well. After all if the deer are already in the field why and the heck would I want to risk scaring them out of it? It would surely make more sence to watah the way the deer are entering and exiting to get a decent location to set up in. Go around the field and wait them out.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by valor10
Might be suicide in ND, but here in Virginia its common sense. Most corn fields here are surronded by mature hardwoods, or loblolly pines. Since the corn isn't planted butt up against the woods, there's normall a 15-30 foot boarder of just grass. You can walk it as quietly and stealtly as can be, without being in the woods, or the corn.
I try to make sure I put in " my area " when I post. Here the corn is planted within 10 - 15 feet of the trees ( shelterbelts for the most part ). I should know as I planted it . I am not saying your advise isn't common sense nor is bad for your area. I hope you didn't take it as such. It isn't good for my area though.

I just posted a picture of Tyler's buck in another post which is a perfect example. We snuck along the corn about 3 or 4 rows in to get to his spot. The tree belt is shaped in an L with the corn planted within 20 yards of the inside corn of the L. Otherwise the corn is planted tight to the trees. 2 bucks were milling around the tree edge in the corner but were smaller bucks. It was a slow poccess but we made it by them without spocking them. I got Tyler to his spot and headed back to that corner. Instead of 2 bucks now there were 3. I snuck back out of there and went and got Tyler. We snuck back to the spot. The bucks were milling around on the outside of the L now ( other side of the trees ). We got in the trees and setup on the outside corner of the L. The buck got within 12 yards and Tyler made the shot. The rest is history.

We couldn't have pulled that off without the standing corn. We would have been dead in the water if we would have come down inside or outside the trees. I've also shot my biggest buck ( AM hunt ) using corn to get to my spot. I should have had another big buck last year using corn to get in a spot but shot under him. Standing corn is great for this open country with our few tree spots. Most guys hate bowhunting standing corn... I love it. It allows me to get in area I couldn't otherwise without it being so open here.

Tim

Last edited by TJF; 08-02-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would never purposely walk through a feeding area, especially if there is a chance the deer are in it when you are walking. try to be as stealthy as possible in hopes of not spooking deer and walk around.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Keep in mind also that that buck could have died some place not far from there or it could of warned the other deer of the danger lurking around them? Here when you shoot a deer the herd will travel out of the area for about 2 weeks before returning back again..
Old 08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt Jeff has even hunted a corn field more than a handful of time, if at all. But Im sure, as usual, he knows from reading it somewhere or his buddies told him

During the early season, if the corn is still green, deer will usually not bed in it because they are not feeding in it. You could get by fine sneaking thru the field. It would be a much better option than busting the deer on the edge as you have in the past.

Late in the season when the deer are feeding in the corn heavy. I would advise against going thru the corn period.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I doubt Jeff has even hunted a corn field more than a handful of time, if at all. But Im sure, as usual, he knows from reading it somewhere or his buddies told him
LOL...I get doubted all the time. No worries. I always seem to disappoint them (the doubters), though.

This will be the second year in a row I've hunted a standing corn field edge (not in the AM's, though).

Swing and (another) miss.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
LOL...I get doubted all the time. No worries. I always seem to disappoint them (the doubters), though.

This will be the second year in a row I've hunted a standing corn field edge (not in the AM's, though).

Swing and (another) miss.
Second year....point made
Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

What point is that, dr? Tell me which information I gave that is "bad" info. Enlighten us.

It really doesn't matter how many years you've been doing something. What matters is how many you've been doing it RIGHT.

I have a BALL every year doing what you guys tell me I have not the experience to accomplish. A BALL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.