HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/299210-question.html)

Bible_Man 07-29-2009 09:30 PM

Question

I am new to bowhunting myself, as this coming season will be my first. But, my wife has recently shown some interest in trying to do a little herself next season. It isn't in the budget to get her a bow for this year, but what are some suggestions for a low priced, good quality bow for a woman to start with? Not sure of her draw length...I would guess around 28. Thanks for your input!

wis_bow_huntr 07-30-2009 03:12 AM

Look into PSE they make some of the best bows out there and are affordable. I think the Stinger would be a great bow for her to start out with.

Double Drops 24 07-30-2009 04:30 AM

Take a look at the Mission line of bows by Mathews. They make some excellent bows at an affordable price.

Lady Forge 07-30-2009 05:15 AM

Bible Man;
Its great to hear of more women wanting to join the world of bowhunters.:biggrin:

There are quite a few good bows out there on the market that have ajustable draw lengths and ajustable draw weight that are priced to be a little more affordable.
Just A Few Examples
Diamond Razor Edge
Parker Sidekick
Mission Menace
PSE
There are others brands out there but I dont have personal experience with them so I cant really comment on them.

HuntingEd 07-30-2009 06:24 AM

How tall is your wife?!?!?! a 28" draw length is for someone around 6'... I'd take her to a bow shop and have them measure her draw length. Or rule of thumb is take your height in inches, subtract 15 and divide by 2. For instance I'm 5'11", and I shoot 27" draw (used to be 28" but took some out to improve accuracy). Shorter draw usually makes you more accurate, well more consistent to be exact...

Martin makes some great women's bows. My wife shoots a Martin Saber (Saberbabe on here sometimes). I got it on Ebay for $150 and it was relatively brand new, the previous owner shot it less than 50 times. Her draw is 24"

Keep an eye on ebay and you might find one that fits her.

fishintay 07-30-2009 08:26 AM

I would look at Hoyt I bought me a trykon sport ,it is a youth bow it would fit her perfect it was around $400 for the whole set up.Probably around $325 for the bow.

fishintay 07-30-2009 08:27 AM

I would look at Hoyt I bought me a trykon sport ,it is a youth bow it would fit her perfect it was around $400 for the whole set up.Probably around $325 for the bow.Hoyt also has a bow selector on there website I would try that first.

fishintay 07-30-2009 08:28 AM

My bad, that went in twice.

Bible_Man 07-30-2009 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the input so far. My wife is 5'8", but she has long arms...I go to church with a guy that used to own a bow shop, and he said she looked like about a 28" draw. He has been out of the business for several years, though, and didn't have too many suggestions on specific bows. I know it is a personal preference as to what feels right, but there is always more wisdom on here than in any pro shop and I figured I could perhaps start narrowing it down a little. I was lucky enough to find a good used bow for myself a few months ago, saving a few hundred dollars, but but as a young married couple, money is tight and we would like to stay on the lower end of the price spectrum. This is her preference, seeing as that she isn't sure how much she will enjoy the sport. I told her she didn't have anything to worry about there!

Bible_Man 08-02-2009 11:20 AM

I have been looking at the Parker Sidekick that Lady Forge recommended. One thing I am wondering about is the speed you could generate from one. We had her draw length measured to between 27-28...thinking we will probably go with a 28 when the time comes. About what speeds would you think a 30#-40# bow would produce? What about a 40#-50# bow? Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Also, if you still have other suggestions as far as specific bows go, let me know.