Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Treestands vs. Saddles >

Treestands vs. Saddles

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestands vs. Saddles

Old 07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Spike

Default Treestands vs. Saddles

I am looking into tree Saddles instead of tree stands. Does anyone have any experience with saddles? I was specifically looking at Trophyline's equipment.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Treestands vs. Saddles

Tree saddle pros: I think the biggest pluses is that you are always tied to the tree. If used properly it is almost impossible to fall with one. you can wear your stand into the woods, you can shoot a deer from any direction a deer will approach from. If you are doing a one day sit then all you have to do is spike a tree or use your Lone Wolf climbing sticks. No need to carry a lock on stand with you. If you hunt in a club with other people then just put climbing sticks up and no stand. Most people will not try to sit in your stand location without a comfortable stand on the tree.
Cons: I would not recommend them for all day sits. You can find some comfort but all day would be asking alot. I would rather sit in a nice lock on for long hunts. People with bad backs my have an issue with them.
A saddle will not answer all my needs for a stand but does give me an edge when I need one.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can somebody post up a video on tree saddles? I have never completely understood the concept.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Spike

Here is a good picture of one in use, or you can go to tropheyline websites for more info, tropheylineusa.com
Attached Thumbnails Treestands vs. Saddles-trophylineusa_03.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by turkish621
Here is a good picture of one in use, or you can go to tropheyline websites for more info, tropheylineusa.com
thanks that kept me from having to google it.. I had no idea what it was, and this was the second post I read today talking about the saddles

brian
Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a tree saddle for several years. I wrote a couple reviews but I can't get them to come up in the search engine.

In summary,

Pros
You can hunt any tree that will hold your weight. The weirder shaped trees make great cover.
You can use the tree trunk as cover keeping it between you and the approaching deer.
You can shoot 360 in silence.
You safely doze in the saddle without fear of falling.
No one can hunt your stand without a saddle.
No one will probably even ever know the spikes are there unless you show them.
The saddle has a loop on the back to function as a traditional safety harness.

The only real con is that it is almost impossible to sit in one all day because they are not as comfortable as good climber or lock-on. If you are overweight by more than a few pounds then forget it.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Spike

The negative I would have is where do i sit my book/thermos/binocs/etc when Im ready to shoot.. LOL
Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bet they are noisey as all get out in a pine tree or any tree with loose bark (noise coming from your feet and hands shifting to different positions). if i had to shift to one side of the tree and the deer was inside 30 yards, it would surely hear you. no thanks, i'll stay with my Summit.