Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Finding deer bedding area >

Finding deer bedding area

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finding deer bedding area

Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Spike

Default Finding deer bedding area

How do you guys go about finding your deer bedding areas?
Old 07-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Spike

I walk around in high grassy areas next to trails.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

On our farm they bed in the tall hay and grasses on the ridgetop and some does and fawns bed right on the edge of the pasture. That is in the summer. In deep snows they bed at the bottom of the ridge near fallen cedars..

Ridgetop grasses. I cut certain sections and leave some to get really tall.

Little fawn bed

Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't...

They bed in thick, secluded areas where they can hear you before you can see them, why go in there and disturb them???

Hunt where they are going after they leave the bedding area in the afternoon and the edge of the bedding area where they are coming back in the morning...

I used to hunt with a guy that thought he had to walk through bedding areas to find where they were bedding, it drove me crazy...I quit hunting with him and now see many more deer and bigger bucks...You can make a educated guess without actually seeing the bed...
Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I don't...

They bed in thick, secluded areas where they can hear you before you can see them, why go in there and disturb them???

Hunt where they are going after they leave the bedding area in the afternoon and the edge of the bedding area where they are coming back in the morning...

I used to hunt with a guy that thought he had to walk through bedding areas to find where they were bedding, it drove me crazy...I quit hunting with him and now see many more deer and bigger bucks...You can make a educated guess without actually seeing the bed...
I agree with that... but you're referring to my pics, these are both taken 20 feet from my pole barn, which I walk/drive tractor by twice a week. Why not take pics. There are plenty of nice bucks hanging out here still, see my thread called "these big boys got me excited". But yea I agree with you, walking and searching for beds or even walking through them is a definite no-no...
Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made a post about some bedding areas, take a look...

http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard...hp?f=44&t=7077

http://www.bloodbro.com/messageboard...php?f=8&t=6883