Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Advice on broadhead >

Advice on broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice on broadhead

Old 07-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cartman308
If you want to try mechanicals I suggest the Grim Reapers. I'm gonna give them a whirl and said for a LOOOONG time that I would NEVER use a mechanical!
Do what you like, but I was a Grim Reaper advocate for years, until I went to Strong and heavy. I shoot Muzzy Phantoms 220 gr. .040 thick, there is not comparison to the flimsy Grim Reapers.

I can't tell you how many Grim Reapers I thew away because I damaged them.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Why in the world would you want to switch from a one piece, solid steel broadhead that is incredibly strong, sharp, and spins very true and that is working for you to one that is aluminum and much weaker designed, has thinner more fragile blades heald in place with a single micro screw, with moving parts?

Pretty stupid decision if you ask me.
actually not really a stupid decision... when using the montec G5 they don't leave a really good blood trail. i have heard that the rage leaving amazing blood trails. i did not have good luck with the montec matching up to field points... the ones i got if i were to shoot for middle target, it would hit the top right... not a difficult adjustment, but still one.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tlutterba
actually not really a stupid decision... when using the montec G5 they don't leave a really good blood trail. i have heard that the rage leaving amazing blood trails. i did not have good luck with the montec matching up to field points... the ones i got if i were to shoot for middle target, it would hit the top right... not a difficult adjustment, but still one.
Exactly what I found with the montecs. Hardnosed but poor blood and adjustments when compared to your field tips. I have killed probably 12 deer with them and only have had a good blood trail on one or two. I tracked a few deer that my buddy shot last year with the rage 2-blade, WOW!! Now those suckers leave some blood... Hence the reasoning for my switch.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Spike

If you were so impressed with your buddy's broadhead, the rage 2 blade, then why pose the question. Sounds like you already know what you want. I personal think G5 is the way to go so for mechanical I would chose Tekan. If it is a larger cutting diameter you are looking for try the Stryker Magnum, both the SM and Tekan have an 1 1/2" cutting diameter. I personally use the Montec with the pre season practice head, same broadhead no more tuning.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switched from Muzzy 100's to NAP Spitfire 100's about 9 years ago. They are devastating. They fly like a field tip and don't deploy in flight. Every deer I have shot with them, with the exception of one, was a pass through. The only exception was a high shot in the backbone. Of course she dropped in her tracks. The Spitfires produce a large entry hole and a devastating exit hole.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Scavenger
If you were so impressed with your buddy's broadhead, the rage 2 blade, then why pose the question. Sounds like you already know what you want. I personal think G5 is the way to go so for mechanical I would chose Tekan. If it is a larger cutting diameter you are looking for try the Stryker Magnum, both the SM and Tekan have an 1 1/2" cutting diameter. I personally use the Montec with the pre season practice head, same broadhead no more tuning.
I never posed the question....