Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open or Closed?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Open or Closed?

I was just wondering when you hold your bow do you shoot with an open hand or a closed hand. I personally shoot with an open hand but I was reading an article this weekend that suggested a partially closed hand is more accurate. I use to shoot closed handed but saw more accuracy when I started opening my hand. How do you shoot and what are your experiences????????
Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

closed hand by habit...could shoot open handed though if it was needed
Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

open hand no closed hand no.

Relaxed hand yes
Old 07-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

open hand because most people tend to grasp the bow more firmly as you shoot which tends to twist the bow towards your thumb. watch someone shoot with a closed hand and you'll see what i mean.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mohunter82
open hand no closed hand no.

Relaxed hand yes

Exactly.

You shouldn't be forcing your hand open any more than you should be gripping your bow. You should be shooting with a relaxed hand. If proper, the fingers will naturally curl around your bow but NOT grip the bow. This is where a wrist sling comes in handy. I shoot with such a relaxed grip that if I don't have a wrist strap on the bow, it shoots right out of my hand.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Exactly.

You shouldn't be forcing your hand open any more than you should be gripping your bow. You should be shooting with a relaxed hand. If proper, the fingers will naturally curl around your bow but NOT grip the bow. This is where a wrist sling comes in handy. I shoot with such a relaxed grip that if I don't have a wrist strap on the bow, it shoots right out of my hand.
exactly use a relaxed grip
Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I shoot, my pointer finger is just barely touching the tip of my thumb, but I am not gripping it.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Neither.

Shoot with a relaxed grip.

If someone were to walk up to you while at full draw they should be able to flick your fingers and they move just like if you were unconscious.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

As Rob stated, you shouldn't force either one. You could go either way on my grip. I do not hold a tight grip nor do I have a wide open grip---somewhere in-between has proven to be comfortable and accurate for me.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
When I shoot, my pointer finger is just barely touching the tip of my thumb, but I am not gripping it.
same grip I use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.