HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Open or Closed? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/298460-open-closed.html)

tmontgo1 07-21-2009 02:51 PM

Open or Closed?

I was just wondering when you hold your bow do you shoot with an open hand or a closed hand. I personally shoot with an open hand but I was reading an article this weekend that suggested a partially closed hand is more accurate. I use to shoot closed handed but saw more accuracy when I started opening my hand. How do you shoot and what are your experiences????????

PutnamHonigford 07-21-2009 03:21 PM

closed hand by habit...could shoot open handed though if it was needed

mohunter82 07-21-2009 03:22 PM

open hand no closed hand no.

Relaxed hand yes

ndncreek 07-21-2009 03:31 PM

open hand because most people tend to grasp the bow more firmly as you shoot which tends to twist the bow towards your thumb. watch someone shoot with a closed hand and you'll see what i mean.

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-21-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by mohunter82 (Post 3389388)
open hand no closed hand no.

Relaxed hand yes

Exactly.

You shouldn't be forcing your hand open any more than you should be gripping your bow. You should be shooting with a relaxed hand. If proper, the fingers will naturally curl around your bow but NOT grip the bow. This is where a wrist sling comes in handy. I shoot with such a relaxed grip that if I don't have a wrist strap on the bow, it shoots right out of my hand.

Rhody Hunter 07-21-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer (Post 3389400)
Exactly.

You shouldn't be forcing your hand open any more than you should be gripping your bow. You should be shooting with a relaxed hand. If proper, the fingers will naturally curl around your bow but NOT grip the bow. This is where a wrist sling comes in handy. I shoot with such a relaxed grip that if I don't have a wrist strap on the bow, it shoots right out of my hand.

exactly use a relaxed grip

BigDaddy12t 07-21-2009 05:02 PM

When I shoot, my pointer finger is just barely touching the tip of my thumb, but I am not gripping it.

bigbulls 07-21-2009 05:26 PM

Neither.

Shoot with a relaxed grip.

If someone were to walk up to you while at full draw they should be able to flick your fingers and they move just like if you were unconscious.

diamondrack 07-21-2009 05:28 PM

As Rob stated, you shouldn't force either one. You could go either way on my grip. I do not hold a tight grip nor do I have a wide open grip---somewhere in-between has proven to be comfortable and accurate for me.

jag-mag 07-21-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t (Post 3389467)
When I shoot, my pointer finger is just barely touching the tip of my thumb, but I am not gripping it.

same grip I use