Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage mechanicals >

Rage mechanicals

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage mechanicals

Old 07-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot many deer with rage BH and have never had a blade not open. I shoot the 3 blade and with my setup I dont have to change any thing on my bow. Just change from field points to BH and they shoot the same.
I will not even try a different head now that I have shot RAGE heads. You can also switch the practice head over to a hunting head if you buy extra blades, I had to and I worked great.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

For a while I was a bit underspined with the 5575"s and went up to the 7595"s (10.2 gr/in and .340"spine).

I did not adjust my sites for either, just shot as is, so I didnt have the BH's spun tested, however did have ends of shafts squared, but my point was to do as little as possible to get true flight from my specific set up.

I wont argue that there are so many variables, but with my set up and rig, the ultimate BH seemed to be the Rage Mechanical 100 grain 3 blade. I would actually like to shoot the Muzzy 3's but even after several attempts at tuning my new Apex 5 pin sight to that BH i never got a consistent pattern like I did with the mechanicals.

Its obvious to me that there is just so much more of drag or "flight control" with fixed blades. I know we went over this a trillion times last season, but after having new strings and properly tuned, the Rage shoots exactly like they claim...a FP. It may not be that way with higher speed bows, arrow shafts, etc. but Im sold and wont change my mind with not only the accuracy but the devestation of the 2 inch cuttting diameter when deployed.

I hope we get a chance to cross paths this year, I just picked up another 300 acres of 20% pasture/80% hardwood land in a very remote spot that hasnt been hunted in years, according to owner. The spring rains have made incredible ag fiels this year with the soybeans and corn, so Im stoked. My own clover plot is mid calf high and my other turnip plot is all dug up already.

Stands are up, and cameras out, and unlike last year I have no need to set foot back in there until opening day.

Regards
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your bow is set up right... Just about any decent fixed blade broadhead will shoot great... If your having prob with broadhead flight then you really need to mess with your bows tuning more... Bottom line... No mechanical broadhead is ever going to out perform a GOOD fixed blade broadhead like a Muzzy...

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 07-17-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff:

Good luck on your new land...

The thing about a compound bow is....a fletched arrow can be manipulated to hit where your sight's pointing, even if it's not tuned to your setup. That's the beauty and the curse of compouinds. It's REALLY easy to get FP's hitting where your pin is........tuning be damned. You don't tune a sight to a BH. If anything, you'd set your center shot and tune your bow without sight.....then put it on, later.

If you get the properly spined arrow; proper length; proper tip weight; proper DW; BH spinning true.......it'll go where your pin is (or, as close as you can put it there). Putting a mechanical on your arrow because you can't get the fixed head to fly straight is a band-aid over a potential deep cut. Trust me.....I've been there.

Only offering this up. No criticism, here.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Jeff,

I hear ya, and understand the scientifics of the intense working of spines, shaft spinning, etc., my only comment was without a doubt, right out of the box the Rage is by far the choice for me. I could spend a ton of money and time with the physics and equipment to work hard at tuning other BH's to work well enough to hunt with, but the comment was simply to comment on the consistency of the Rage vs others.

I could invest in all of the vises, spinnners, fletching devices, etc., but when it comes down to taking something out of the package and screw it to the tip of the arrow of my choice and have a high 90%'s of accuracy....there is nothing else to argue.

True there are the geometrics, weights, spinning, tuning, spines, and everything else a true competetor in archery would do for tournaments, but Im out to drop some venison and what I commented on was that undoubtedly my choice was what I mentioned.

If I ever get to compete against the best in 3D and inside archery tournaments with $2000 bows and $300 arrows, I would ceratinly see your side and points of aggressively achieving maximum output of my equipment.

I climb trees with my bow, walk through mud, often drop or snag it on a branch or two, climb into my stand and sit and wait for a shot at a lung or two, and whether or not I have spent many hundreds of $ at a pro shot or not, my rage will seek its target with basic equipment, very accurately, right out of the package.

Simply my point
Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff....

It's MOST important in a hunting situation, where penetration is paramount. If all you're worried about is hitting where your sight's looking (target situation), you don't really need to be in tune.

Good luck.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have no idea what all yall r talking about. Sounds like either a war over who knows the most or one of u is old school and hates to admit that archery is not as complicated as it used to be. I just shoot my bow 1000's of times and get it as accurate as I'm capable of getting it and go to the woods.. I hate to say it but mechanical broadheads have made that easy on guys like me... But that's all I've gotta say ill let my shootin speak for me cause in the end if u hit where your aiming that's the only thing that counts!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Cannon...

That's a common opinion. But, it doesn't make it right (simply hitting where you're aiming).

You can do that with a bow that's not even close to being in tune.....and no matter which head's on the business end, it'll affect performance.....sometimes in a big way.

This isn't anything new.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to get back to the original area of this post, but how many of you Rage users made your practice heads into real ones. It can be done fairly easily.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I found one of the heads lying around, this week. If you want it, Wis...let me know and I'll send it to you.

They will fly "just like your FP's", though. Always did, for me. My point was...."just like your FP's" doesn't mean squat.....if they're not flying optimally. The importance of true flight is compounded when you put the blades up front and shoot at animals.

What I know of this is due to trial and ERROR. I'd just like to see less people make the mistakes I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.