Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Two questions on compound bows >

Two questions on compound bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two questions on compound bows

Old 07-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Default Two questions on compound bows

Question 1:
What brand(s) and model(s) would you recommend for someone looking to buy their first new compound in over 10 years?

Question 2:
Can I increase the poundage on my bow simply by tightening down the limbs equally, i.e. one half turn of allen wrench on each limb? Or does it really need to be done by a bow tuner? I have my bow tuned up and it is set at about 65#, but I am considering tightening it up a little.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Just go to an archery shop and shoot any/every bow they have. Don't let people recommend what THEY like. Find what YOU like. That's what matters.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crenth
Just go to an archery shop and shoot any/every bow they have. Don't let people recommend what THEY like. Find what YOU like. That's what matters.

These words should be in the Bible!!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Longstreet3006
Question 1:
What brand(s) and model(s) would you recommend for someone looking to buy their first new compound in over 10 years?

Question 2:
Can I increase the poundage on my bow simply by tightening down the limbs equally, i.e. one half turn of allen wrench on each limb? Or does it really need to be done by a bow tuner? I have my bow tuned up and it is set at about 65#, but I am considering tightening it up a little.
Question 1: Read crenth's response.

Question 2: You can adjust the poundage yourself and don't need a tuner. Just make sure you make equal turns on the limb bolts. You might want to consider getting a good draw weight scale.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 PM

The best I can say is, go to your local pro shop and shoot all the different bows they have. And buy the one that you shoot the best, that feel good to shoot and that's quite.

#2. If you buy a bow that's adjustable from 60-70lbs, then you can increase the draw weight as you get going. But I like to increase the poundage and then have it checked at the shop to see what it actaully is.

Well this is just my .02. Hope it helps though.