Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead Tuning for Bowhunting Issues >

Broadhead Tuning for Bowhunting Issues

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Tuning for Bowhunting Issues

Old 07-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Broadhead Tuning for Bowhunting Issues

So I'm trying to tune my broadheads and having a bit of an issue. When I first started, my broadheads were hitting about 6" low and left of my field tips. I've made the adjustments of moving the right to the right and up and then whatever adjustments needed done there after. I've got my broadheads closer and now they impact 3" to the left of my field tips.

My problem now is that while I have my broadheads closer (about 3" to the left of my field tips) I've run out of room to move my rest to the right anymore- If I do it appears that I'm going to get contact with my cables and riser.

What do I do now?

My setup:

2008 Reflex Charger, 29" draw, 52#
Gold Tip Expeditions 5575
G5 Montec 100gr
Blazers
Whisker Biscuit

I'm shooting the 5575's at 27.5".
Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Start shooting expandable braodheads!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Three inches is pretty close - you could probably get away with just moving your sight pins to the broadhead point of impact. It will saved you from having to buy a whole new set of broadheads and starting over.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taking a look at your signature and other posted data I'd say your arrows are too stiff for your setup. If you can handle the added draw weight I'd suggest turning the draw weight up; at least 0ne full turn for starters. See if this brings the broadheads closer to the field tips. You could also try heavier tips and/or lighter fletching (feathers?) to make the dynamic spine of the arrows weaker.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by englum_06
So I'm trying to tune my broadheads and having a bit of an issue. When I first started, my broadheads were hitting about 6" low and left of my field tips. I've made the adjustments of moving the right to the right and up and then whatever adjustments needed done there after. I've got my broadheads closer and now they impact 3" to the left of my field tips.

My problem now is that while I have my broadheads closer (about 3" to the left of my field tips) I've run out of room to move my rest to the right anymore- If I do it appears that I'm going to get contact with my cables and riser.

What do I do now?
I've seen many bow/arrow/broadhead combinations where the FP'
s won't shoot the same as your BH's for whatever reason. I'm already assuming you've tuned your bow as much as possible already and you probably don't want to try a different BH? If that's the case, I would just move your sight low & left and get your BH's all dialed in..... Just make sure to remember that your sight should follow your arrow. For example, as mentioned above, if your hitting low and left - your sight should be moved low and left....
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

I would get some Bemans and try those they seem to work a little better with the Montecs and with the Blazers I have had better sucess using Hoyt bow also.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I would try out some arrows in a .500 spine. The ones you are shooting are .400 and are too stiff for your setup.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by englum_06

What do I do now?

My setup:

2008 Reflex Charger, 29" draw, 52#
Gold Tip Expeditions 5575
G5 Montec 100gr
Blazers
Whisker Biscuit

I'm shooting the 5575's at 27.5".

If your broadheads are now hitting 3 inches to the left of your field tips, that means you need to move your pins to the left, not the right.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Taking a look at your signature and other posted data I'd say your arrows are too stiff for your setup. If you can handle the added draw weight I'd suggest turning the draw weight up; at least 0ne full turn for starters. See if this brings the broadheads closer to the field tips. You could also try heavier tips and/or lighter fletching (feathers?) to make the dynamic spine of the arrows weaker.

What he said.

If your broadheads are now hitting 3 inches to the left of your field tips, that means you need to move your pins to the left, not the right.

He is moving his REST to tune the broadheads to fieldpoints,not sighting in.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. Looks like the first thing I'll be doing when I get back from vacation is bumping my draw weight up. I sure hope that fixes it.

Also, I'll be going to the Bass Pro in Branson, MO this weekend, do you think I should get it papertuned, bump my weight up, and start over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.