Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shooting with glasses? >

Shooting with glasses?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting with glasses?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Unhappy Shooting with glasses?

well,guess it happenes to everyone sooner or later.getting older, 56 now .been using drug store glasses for years,latley having trouble seeing targets.went to eye doc yesterday,in 7-10 days i'll be wearing bifolcols.never tried shooting a bow with glasses on.does anyone have any tips? what problems should i expect? maybe it will be better,can see the deer now thanks lightfoot52
Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

i have always hunted with glasses and never had a problem. but i would do alot of practicing before you venture out hunting, just don't look thru the bifocals when the shot presents itself. my first pair of bifocals the bifocal was too high and things got wierd fast.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had to start wearing glasses to hunt with years back and found You will proabably have to turn your head alittle more towards the target when at full draw, because if you dont you will be seeing the bridge that goes over your nose between the 2 sides of your glasses, and change your anchor point slightly.

Give your self at least a month to ingrain the new anchor point, what I look for is to come to full draw with my eyes closed, find my anchor point with my eyes closed and when I open them I should have no problem seeing clearly through my peep. If it isnt there then I need more time and practice to ingrain that new anchor point.

You may have some problems with your glasses fogging up while hunting in the cold weather, I try to remember to breath out through my mouth a little harder than usual so they dont fog up and dont breath through your nose with a face mask on or they will fog up for sure.

Best of luck to ya
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I found that the refraction of my glasses causes me to shoot off my mark. In the past I shot with either my glasses, or my contacts (when i finally got them). one year i tried shooting my bow, with glasses, and couldn't hit a thing. it was summer and i was sweating so I went into the house and put the contacts in. when i shot again i was hitting my mark. i then realized that i dialed the bow in wearing contacts and the glasses caused me to shoot off. practice alot with ur glasses on. you may have to site in the bow again.

if ur anything like my dad, he had alot of problems when he first got bi-focals. he found himself looking through the wrong lense more times than not.

practice, practice, practice.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

For foggy glasses get some Parkers Perfect. The BEST!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some pretty good comments above. A couple other things come to my mind.

Aspherical lenses halp to as they remove the refraction SwampDog was talking about. The presription carries all the way to the edges. Similar to good binocular being clear right to the edges.

Your lenses are going to have to have antireflective coating on them. Otherwise you are likely to see two sets of pins (if you shoot pins). I know this because I have to get my new glasses coated.

You shouldn't have much of a problem with the bifocals because you don't look through them anyway when sighting. Bifocals are for close work like reading and have nothing to do with aiming at target some yards away.

As Lady Forge said you may find you have to turn your head toward the target more directly. Depends on how much you turn your head now. Frankly this shouldn't be an issue as this is how you should be shooting in the first place. This also may make it necessary to slightly shorten the bow's drawlength a little and you might have to move the sight in toward the bow a touch. It all depends on what your anchor is like now.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ndncreek
i have always hunted with glasses and never had a problem. but i would do alot of practicing before you venture out hunting, just don't look thru the bifocals when the shot presents itself. my first pair of bifocals the bifocal was too high and things got wierd fast.
I had a problem with one pair of bifocals because the line was too high. The optometrist told me that there's no hard rule as to where the line falls, just guidelines. If you get the no line bifocals it's even worse because instead of a line you will have a transition zone where neither prescription is in focus. If someone does a lot of reading they would be better off with more on the bottom, but in the case of an archer this will put the reading prescription close to the point where you look through the peep sight. When I have my glasses made I have them move the bifocal line down to clear up my vision while shooting, I just wouldn't want to try and read a novel with these glasses. One thing that the optometrist suggested to me also, was to bring in an old pair of glasses so I wouldn't have to purchase frames. A set of single vision lenses for these frames would cost about $75 and you don't need the reading part for hunting. In addition if you bring your bow to his office, that he would measure where to put the prescriptions center at full draw so that it falls right at the peep sight.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

maybe i should have ask questions here before i went to the eye doc. didnt thnk about it.sounds like its going to be a pain.don't know if eye doc is anti-hunting but tried to joke about seeing the deer,he didn't smile.oops

Last edited by lightfoot52; 07-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya my only issue is really foggy glasses.. Face Masks and breathing when it's cold are a big issue for me while wearing glasses because of fogging issues..
Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Face masks + Glasses = Foggy Lenses. I'm sure there are ways to beat that, but since I'm not quite that blind yet, I just leave the glasses home. Other than that, never had a problem wearing glasses and shooting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.