Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

feeders??

Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike

Default feeders??

I am wanting to put a feeder on my land in the timber patches to bring deer around stand.. There are corn fields and bean fields al around so would this be a good idea? If so should I buy one from like bass pro that is timed or make one out of pipe? Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: feeders??

I would suggest hunting some of their trails going to and from the feilds this way you dont have to spend your money to buy bait. If you want to get a feeder the pipe feeder works really well I did have a couple of them but the deer can eat all they want to with this type of feeder so I bought me a timed feeder now they cant have me out there every other day restocking.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

If you are surrounded by corn and bean fields, I'm not sure a feeder would be very successful in this type of situation. A mineral lick or some type of water source might be more successful.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 AM

OK, now this is purely hypothetical becuase feeding deer in Michigan is illegal......... But I personally would build my own out of PVC, and that is strictly saying if we could do this in Michigan.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

I am wanting to put a feeder on my land in the timber patches to bring deer around stand.. There are corn fields and bean fields al around so would this be a good idea? If so should I buy one from like bass pro that is timed or make one out of pipe? Thanks
Sure. They'll be on it in no time. I'd buy one of the timed ones. Dusk and dawn is all you need. They got fancier stuff if you'd like. Check out Moultrie's web site. They sell some discontinued/discounted/reconditioned stuff that you can pick up cheap. I'd recommend a solar charger, but if you have it tucked up in the woods, it might not recharge very well. Regular batteries will last a couple months. Make sure you either buy the protective screen for the thrower, or make something up yourself. The squirrels and racoons will be ALL OVER IT!! I like the hang on cans, just make sure you hang it high enough so the deer ain't kicking the can all over the place for the corn. If they can reach it, they will. Had a couple nice tripod feeders, and the bears destroyed them. They held up well to the deer kickings though. Bears haven't messed with the hang on one.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will sell you two of them for cheap! Great like new condition!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would just find some good trails or pinch points in the field if i was you