Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Simple Scent Free Poll... >

Simple Scent Free Poll...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple Scent Free Poll...

Old 07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Simple Scent Free Poll...

Do you believe in the Scent-Lok/Scent Blocker clothing??

Simple question, just wondering if you do or not??

If you have any stories to back up your decision please discuss!!
Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Simple Scent Free Poll...

I am not against owning a few garments, but I am not a big believer in the claims of eliminating your scent. Personally I am more into owning clothing that will keep me in the elements (light rain, cold, etc) and packable. I am more into layering as well and use clothing that is light and less bulk for packing.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

i do not claim that they work as they say they do on the advertisement campaigns but i feel they do work to a degree. i have had a great number of deer come from down wind of me and were nervous or even aware that a scent was in the air but it was not enough to spook them. eventually coming in and giving me a shot. could be many things that caused this i know but i attribute it to me scent control regimine and my scent 'contain' clothing.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I voted 'not sure' as I've never used it. I hunt the wind and spray myself down. The last few years, I've had Coyotes and deer walk and cross my trail that gets me to my stand and not once have they ever stopped for a second to think about it.

My clothes are all hung outside to air dry/vent until the next hunt. It's been working for years
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think Scent Blocker clothing is one piece of a strict scent control regimen that can help you see more game, get closer to game, and get by with a deer down wind at times.

It's obvious that playing the wind is most important. Deer upwind will not smell you, but there are very few stands where that stray deer will not appear down wind. That's when the strict scent control regimen can bail you out. Deer in rural America are very used to human scent and I think they judge the location to a great degree based on the strength of the scent they encounter.

I may not be able to totally eliminate scent but I want to dilute it as much as I can and will use everything at my disposal to accomplish that means.

Dan
Old 07-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

I believe in it for the simple fact that i had a coyote come from down wind of me and he never even knew i was there. Same with many deer.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: berettaguy17

I believe in it for the simple fact that i had a coyote come from down wind of me and he never even knew i was there. Same with many deer.
You fool a coyote you know you have done something!!

Dan
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

It can't fool my German Sheperd. Few years back, I put on my brand new suit, strolled out 100 yards behind the house in the woods and sat behind an oak, wife let him loose, and he found me in about 30 seconds. Had on rubber boots, sprayed down with earth scent. Only had on the suit though. I suppose if I had full containment (gloves, boots, headgear, ect) it might have taken him 40 seconds.

Deer in rural America are very used to human scent and I think they judge the location to a great degree based on the strength of the scent they encounter.
Valid point. It may in fact reduce scent therby fooling a deer on distance. A german Sheperd is on smart critter, especially compared to a deer. Deer can't fetch beers either.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Back In the day I used the Scent Lock clothing for bear, deer and elk hunting and not once did It convince me It was doing a thing to hide my scent like advertised. I didn't hunt any different with It on meaning I still played the wind like I would any other time but It didn't matter a bit, got busted/smelled just as much with It on so that was enough to convince me that It was far from advertised.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it works to a degree. Just part of a system to stay as scent free as possible. But no its probaly not the end all be all. You can't be stinkin and just put on the clothes and magically you are scent free. But if you keep your clothes scent free, and take the proper steps like bathing and a good scent away spray I think it gets you pretty close.

Quick Reply: Simple Scent Free Poll...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.