Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Elk solo....who's done it, any tips??? >

Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Well, it looks like I'm gonna be solo on my trip to Colorado, so I'm wondering who's hunted them solo, and if you have any good advice??? The unit I'm heading into has elk, most all of the guys I've talked to that have hunted there have had opportunities, so that makes me optimistic. I'll put a cow down if that opportunity arises, maybe even a calf if it's as big as a large doe is around here, so what advice might you have....other than "get in shape" or "don't do it alone." I'm already in "shape...(round is a shape isn't it)" and I AM going, so that side is pretty much settled.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

I hunt elk alone from time to time, and killed my last 2 bulls while on my own, although last year I was able to get friends rounded up to help pack him out. BUT, waht I do is hunt prepared to kill. What I mean by that, I carry everything with me that I will need once I'm successful. I carry my frame pack, with a fanny pack strapped on it. If I kill an elk, once I have it found, I will immidiately begin the task of quartering and hanging the quarters. I carry game bags, and rope just for this. I tie a dead log across a couple of trees to hang the quarters from. I don't carry a saw with me,because you can quarter an elk without a saw and I will come back for the last load with a saw to cut the antlers off and take them with me at that time. Once I get it quartered, I load one quarter on the pack, leave the other three hanging in the shade, and start packin'.
I also carry a filtered water bottle. For the most part, there is a water source available to refill as necassary, that way, I never run out of water. I carry only essentials for survival such as a space blanket, lighter/matches, enough food for a day plus, a knife, and sharpner, GPS, TP and or wipes, rubber gloves mainly because it makes clean up a snap, head lamp, extra batterys for headlamp and GPS, calls, and that's about all I carry. It's not bad at all with the stuff strapped on the frame pack. When I get close to action, I take the pack off, mark it on the GPS, and hunt.
Last year the GPS saved me/us a lot of time. I was able to give the coordinates to two buddys and they were able to go right to my downed elk and pick up two quarters for me and haul them out. I only had to carry two loads out, and was lucky in that we only had to carry it all about 500 yards. A cake walk for sure!!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

OHbowhntrI've solo backpacked into Colorado wilderness several times, backpack hunted witha partner quite a few other times, archery and black powder and I've been very successful in every aspect.

Where to start?

First, round is going to only bring you pain and misery if truly you're not in shape. If you can't run a few miles, if you can'thike with your hunting boots and pack on for a few hours without ill affects of it (sore, tired, blisters etc) cancel your ideas and plan for 2010.

If you were jesting about that, read on.

You MUST have great fitting footwear and synthetic socks (not natural fibers like wool/cotton)As your feet go, so will your hunt.

You needa reliable tent and sleeping bag.I found myself in 2' of snow and it hammering down Sept 17th one year - another year rain after rain and it 40 degree's. Colorado weather can be brutal, even archery season. Be prepared with good equipment.

Your hunting clothes will differ very little from yourwhitetail hunting IMO. I take Frogg Toggs for rain gear.

Your food is important depending on your body. I can live on dehydrated soups and SPAM and candy bars. Some people need morefood, and differnt food. You'll have to figure that out.

Preparingfor a filled tag is important to, so your pack will need to carry weight well for you. I think Howler is crazy to quarter an elk - deboning is the only way solo elk hunters should do it, the gutless method. Also I'd never consider going elk hunting without my Wyoming bone saw.

I do agree that you have to have a good headlamp and water filter bottle, though I've drank out of a lot of streams and never an issue.

I hate GPS's, Ive seen a lot of glazed looks when the batteries die or they can't get a signal etc. or their GPS says go this way and there is a sheer 30' bluff or 100 acre deadfall pit right in that path and the GPS can't tell you that. Maps - learn the lay of the land, memorize.

If you can get a pack less than 55-60 pounds for a 5-6 day hunt you're doing well. 55-60 pounds is a LOT of weight, more than most people understand.

PM me if you want more info on how I do it.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

OHbowhntrI've solo backpacked into Colorado wilderness several times, backpack hunted witha partner quite a few other times, archery and black powder and I've been very successful in every aspect.

Where to start?

First, round is going to only bring you pain and misery if truly you're not in shape. If you can't run a few miles, if you can'thike with your hunting boots and pack on for a few hours without ill affects of it (sore, tired, blisters etc) cancel your ideas and plan for 2010. ( Packing ain't a problem, running ain't gonna happen on these old knees, but I can put 20-30minutes at a time on a stepper, and really burn some calories, which I think may be better preparation than running in some ways. )

If you were jesting about that, read on.

You MUST have great fitting footwear and synthetic socks (not natural fibers like wool/cotton)As your feet go, so will your hunt. ( COVERED, and after wearing combat boots for a few years, it don't take much to be better than them, but the more important lesson I learned was how to "properly tie your boots and take care of your feet!!!! )

You needa reliable tent and sleeping bag.I found myself in 2' of snow and it hammering down Sept 17th one year - another year rain after rain and it 40 degree's. Colorado weather can be brutal, even archery season. Be prepared with good equipment. ( Got it, slept in my bag only 3/4 zipped on a night we hit 27*, I build a shelter over my tent using a tarp, for a little added protection, a good light but tough tarp helps a lot. I have a good 3 season tent 7x9 that is only 5.5-6#, so that should be good for my needs through and through. )

Your hunting clothes will differ very little from yourwhitetail hunting IMO. I take Frogg Toggs for rain gear. ( Covered also, layers are my friend, as they were the last time. )

Your food is important depending on your body. I can live on dehydrated soups and SPAM and candy bars. Some people need morefood, and differnt food. You'll have to figure that out. ( Jerky, trail mix, trail bars, and some canned premade pasta's and such in a vacuum-packed bags worked well for me as well. MSR Water filter and a 5 gallon water bag also worked well for me last time. )

Preparingfor a filled tag is important to, so your pack will need to carry weight well for you. I think Howler is crazy to quarter an elk - deboning is the only way solo elk hunters should do it, the gutless method. Also I'd never consider going elk hunting without my Wyoming bone saw. ( I've heard a lot about the wyoming saws, but already have a couple small saws, are they that much better??? )

I do agree that you have to have a good headlamp and water filter bottle, though I've drank out of a lot of streams and never an issue.

I hate GPS's, Ive seen a lot of glazed looks when the batteries die or they can't get a signal etc. or their GPS says go this way and there is a sheer 30' bluff or 100 acre deadfall pit right in that path and the GPS can't tell you that. Maps - learn the lay of the land, memorize. ( I usually more orienteer than anything, and there are certainly enough landmarks to keep myself well oriented in Colorado, the desert in west Texas, maybe not, but the mountains in CO, it ain't too bad from my experience. As for maps, I've been over them pretty heavy, aerial views, topo, terrain, etc. )

If you can get a pack less than 55-60 pounds for a 5-6 day hunt you're doing well. 55-60 pounds is a LOT of weight, more than most people understand. ( I've broke mine down to about 90# total, including the boots and clothes I'll wear in, my pack, my bow, food, the 96oz. (6#) of water I'll have in my hydration bladder etc. I took in 130# in '05, I ain't doing that again, that is for sure!!! )

PM me if you want more info on how I do it.

Thanks for your input, it helps reassure me a bit.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

( Packing ain't a problem, running ain't gonna happen on these old knees, but I can put 20-30minutes at a time on a stepper, and really burn some calories, which I think may be better preparation than running in some ways. )

You can't discount cardio and running is the best gauge I've ever found for it. Best you can do is plan around it - maybe in a semi-mountainous area instead of the 12,000 feet vertical tough places (like the Weminuche, Holy Cross and Sangre de Christo - tough tough areas)

Are you planning to go remote wilderness, like 8-10 miles in,or semi-remote, like 2-3 miles off the trails?

( I've heard a lot about the wyoming saws, but already have a couple small saws, are they that much better??? )

In my opinion yes they are. Both bone and wood saws and they'll flat work through whatever it is.

130# ? GEEEEESH!

Have you ever considered renting llamas? They add an element unlike any other to your hunt, and they'll pack about 60-65# each. Very cool packing animals.

My best backpack bull

Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

A couple of things that I would suggest....I would vacuum seal your matches, lighter and overnight survival items. That will be one packet you hope you don't use. Plus I always pack like I am spending the night (ex: socks, warm hat, etc)

Not to be critical of your workout, but 30 minutes on a stepper won't help fill the gap of the lack of oxygen. Keep in mind that at 10,000 ft you have 40% less oxygen than you do at sea level.

As far as meals, I am a "high in protein & carb diet" of which I have eliminated my sugar intake. Its amazing how simple my meal plan is today as it will be for me 8 days in New Mexico this year. With that I have given up 23 pounds of which will help me dramatically. There is a great article in magazine about a persons VO2 ability. Basically it mentions longer no so intense work outs. Believe it or not, you will get better results walking on a treadmill for 40-50 minutes at a 10% incline (keeping your heart rate below 130) than you will 20 minutes of running or an "All Out" workout on an ellipitical trainer. This is something that is needed to be done everyday, but only 3-4 days a week.

Back to the meals, the trail mix, jerky etc, has no carbohydrates in them what so ever. They taste good, but keep in mind carbs is your bodies fuel...which I assure you that you will need. Many leave out the importance of diet, but to me, it has become very important to me as shooting my bow....the key is balance, balance, balance...

Good easy to pack carb foods - oatmeal, rice, rice cakes, any green veggies, & fruit
Good easy to pack protein foods - white fish, tuna, 92% lean red meat (turkey, vension, elk)

I am sure you are pumped up as I know we have talked about it before at last years GTG...Good Luck on your plans

Old 06-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

hate GPS's, Ive seen a lot of glazed looks when the batteries die or they can't get a signal etc. or their GPS says go this way and there is a sheer 30' bluff or 100 acre deadfall pit right in that path and the GPS can't tell you that. Maps - learn the lay of the land, memorize. ( I usually more orienteer than anything, and there are certainly enough landmarks to keep myself well oriented in Colorado, the desert in west Texas, maybe not, but the mountains in CO, it ain't too bad from my experience. As for maps, I've been over them pretty heavy, aerial views, topo, terrain, etc. )
That's all well and good, BUT when it's dark, foggy, or snowing heavily, and you can't see more than a couple of yards, a GPS smokes landmarks! Plus, if you shoot any elk, and it so happens to die it thick dark timber, having a GPS to input the location, is a lot better than tieing those damn pieces of plastic on every other tree to mark the trail. I hate orange marking tape!!
Also, if you find a spot that you really like, and you decide that you want to be in that spot before daylight the next day, or a few days later, a GPS will get you back to the spot in the dark, in heavy snow, in fog! I won't go without my GPS, even though I do also carry a map!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, a little clarifying here....

Howler,
I have a GPS, and I already have pre-plotted areas marked out on it that I will used a landmarks, and I'm familiar with it's use, what I was saying is that I'm not solely going to rely on it for navigations.

Rob,
I also pack what I call mountain bars which are a concoction cookie with oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, peanuts, peanut butter and coconut, so I'll have carbs covered on that front. And I understand the Oxygen demand thing, that's part of why I'm putting 30 minute workouts on the stepper. In all honesty, I'm not sure where I'd find the time for a full 50-60minute workout as I'm pinched to get my short 30minute ones in. I know the last time out, the first two days were TOUGH, but after that I was relatively ok. I also planned on packing in some stuff like Ramien Noodles and such that is light and relatively easy to do.

Sent you a return PM on the access...

Brad,
I hear what you're saying about RUNNING, but at 235-240, and having spent many years running when I was young and 10-15# lighter, my knees just won't take it. Running 7 minute miles for 6-7miles was good when I was a bit younger, and had some hot women's college cross-country runner ahead of me, but my knees are none the better for it (when you look around and no one else in the group your running with weighs over 185# and your 220#, you realize you're in the WRONG GROUP, that'll teach me to listen to a buddy at Officer's Basic, then he wanted to fall out!!!![:@] ). It's not that I can't run, it's that it just tears the knees up. Heavy hiking don't bother me a bit, running ain't good for these knees. I worked in construction for years as well, and back in the day used to carry 2 bundles of shingles rather than one because it got the job done faster, now I'm a little older and wiser, one bundle at a time is perfectly fine.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

I always like totake rice in..easy to prepare and takes up no room...easy to cook at base and bag it for a quick meal...I am looking forward to this year for sure. I can feel the difference and with the potential of a sheep hunt in a few years, I have taken my diet much more serious and still learning.I, like you, have had little if any time to do my workouts, so I just decided to get up earlier...no calls on my cell at 5:30am...the only bad thing is my wife wakes up to the theme song of Primo's and an occassional bugle every now and then

With being in New Mexico I was thinking I would be wondering what was happenin' at ole faithful...well I will know since I have a friend headin' there.

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Okay, a little clarifying here....

Howler,
I have a GPS, and I already have pre-plotted areas marked out on it that I will used a landmarks, and I'm familiar with it's use, what I was saying is that I'm not solely going to rely on it for navigations.

Rob,
I also pack what I call mountain bars which are a concoction cookie with oatmeal, raisins, chocolate chips, peanuts, peanut butter and coconut, so I'll have carbs covered on that front. And I understand the Oxygen demand thing, that's part of why I'm putting 30 minute workouts on the stepper. In all honesty, I'm not sure where I'd find the time for a full 50-60minute workout as I'm pinched to get my short 30minute ones in. I know the last time out, the first two days were TOUGH, but after that I was relatively ok. I also planned on packing in some stuff like Ramien Noodles and such that is light and relatively easy to do.

Sent you a return PM on the access...

Brad,
I hear what you're saying about RUNNING, but at 235-240, and having spent many years running when I was young and 10-15# lighter, my knees just won't take it. Running 7 minute miles for 6-7miles was good when I was a bit younger, and had some hot women's college cross-country runner ahead of me, but my knees are none the better for it (when you look around and no one else in the group your running with weighs over 185# and your 220#, you realize you're in the WRONG GROUP, that'll teach me to listen to a buddy at Officer's Basic, then he wanted to fall out!!!![:@] ). It's not that I can't run, it's that it just tears the knees up. Heavy hiking don't bother me a bit, running ain't good for these knees. I worked in construction for years as well, and back in the day used to carry 2 bundles of shingles rather than one because it got the job done faster, now I'm a little older and wiser, one bundle at a time is perfectly fine.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug,

Make sure I have your cell number and give me a call everyday when your out of the woods. File a flight plan so we know where to look. Again, I have guys coming this way. You might be able to group in with them. PM me your dates....

Some very sound advice here!

Quick Reply: Elk solo....who's done it, any tips???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.