Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Question

Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Question

What a good weight for a hunting arrow?Grains per inch wise ? (for whitetails?.Using 100 grain head,29 inch arrow,60 pounds)
Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Question

You will get all kinds of different opinions on this. It seemslike to stay above 8.2 and below 9.9 for my setups. (gpi)
Old 06-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

GPI to me is a mute point and for the life of me I don't know why they even put it on shafts.
A lot of people want to shoot as light as possible and go by the GPI, then can't work out why they have horrible arrow flight.

You should be more concerned about what spine to use not the GPI.

Depending on your draw lenght either a 400 or 340 spine shaft.

Get the correct spine arrow for your set up and let the weight be what it is.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kanga

GPI to me is a mute point and for the life of me I don't know why they even put it on shafts.
A lot of people want to shoot as light as possible and go by the GPI, then can't work out why they have horrible arrow flight.

You should be more concerned about what spine to use not the GPI.

Depending on your draw length either a 400 or 340 spine shaft.

Get the correct spine arrow for your set up and let the weight be what it is.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah, Russ....but (respectfully) don'tyou muddy the waters when you try to manipulate things (be that overall arrow weight; tip weight). I'm just saying......I'd pick the Broadhead I wanted to use (including the weight) and tune backwards from there. The compound bow allows the archer to also adjust draw weight as a tuning tool.

Tip weight (affecting FOC and "extreme" FOC) can be highly manipulative towards spine.

Isn't the BH (preference) the place to start? Your last sentence makes perfect sense....and is spot on. I just think the BH is the starting point.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Isn't the BH (preference) the place to start?
Bh could be the place to start but it doesn't have to be. I know which shafts I want to use and they only come in certain spines, .300 or .400 to be exact. So I have to look for a certain tip weight (it can be a range) to get that shaft to spine correctly for the DW range I am looking at. You could say I am starting at spine and DW and the tip weight is determined by those two things.

I believe that what Kanga is saying is, regardless of where you "start", the emphasis should be to achieve the proper (dynamic) spine in the end and not to be to concerned about how the weight ends up.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apologies oqq, I was taking spine as a given. The above is great advice. Pick your BH, then find arrows that are in the correct spine, then start checking your options for a lighter/heavier setup.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

You (and Russ) Bruce.....are right. Just thinking out loud.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

(for whitetails?.Using 100 grain head,29 inch arrow,60 pounds)
Jeff.

He already put his head weight in

I believe that what Kanga is saying is, regardless of where you "start", the emphasis should be to achieve the proper (dynamic) spine in the end and not to be to concerned about how the weight ends up.
Bruce.

You have a lovely way with words

But your right thats exactly what I was getting at

I have seen it too many times at the shop, people come in wanting an arrow that they have calculated to be 350gr's so they can shoot it out of their 70lb 30" draw bow and according to their numbers right or wrong they want a 500 spine arrow and no amount of talking or running their specs through AA and showing they are wrong, will get them to change their mind.

Then they come back all pissed because they can't hit the broad side of a barn and claim we sold them the wrong arrow
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Busted.

(Although I was speaking more "in general")

Quick Reply: Arrow Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.