Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who takes this shot on an Elk >

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who takes this shot on an Elk

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who takes this shot on an Elk

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

A poorly mentored bowhunter

Who are you talking about? Sounds like your trying to judgemental!
DB
Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHA I took a 336 yard shot at a buck last year with my 30-06 with a 3x9 scope and dumped him in his tracks... So if its season and I have a tag... a 105 yard shot is nothin.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

this is my opinon,but I don't think anyone should be taking a shot at a live animal in that circunstance,no matter how good they are at the range shooting targets.I know people should use their own judgement bases on their own skills ,but if I witnessed someone taking this shot I don't think I could keep my mouth shut.
While I see your point, that shot if the archer truly is capable is probably as high probability as a 50yd shot on a whitetail.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

70 yds. You would shoot at an elk? I hope not. That animal is way to big to take a shot at that distance... You nail him in the shoulder. Then what. It's just not worth it, ethics 101.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

this is my opinon,but I don't think anyone should be taking a shot at a live animal in that circunstance,no matter how good they are at the range shooting targets.I know people should use their own judgement bases on their own skills ,but if I witnessed someone taking this shot I don't think I could keep my mouth shut.
While I see your point, that shot if the archer truly is capable is probably as high probability as a 50yd shot on a whitetail.
No. I could barely disagree moreI would equate it more to 80 or so yards on a whitetail. The difficulty of a shot, including all factors such as animal moving, etc, goes up exponentially, not linearly with relation to shot distance. I'm not telling anyone what to do. All I am saying is I would not even consider that shot on a live animal, and even moreso on one as large as an elk due to lack of penetration at that distance. I really would bet against the possibility of getting both lungs, and if you have ever tried to find an elk shot in a single lung then you know that it is a game you don't want to play.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

DB
"trying to judgemental" Not sure what you are saying there friend, but all I was saying that any properly mentored bowhunter would not consider that a ethical shot.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Heck guys, there are guys taking these shots routinely in AZ on Coues Deer, equal to a yearling doe in body size back east. Ethics back east are much different than ethics in the west when it comes to what is acceptable in bowhunting.

I personally wouldn't even have the arrow out of the quiver until I cut that distance in half, THEN the stalk begins.

Jeff summed it up pretty perfectly in my opinion as well.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: OklaBowhunter

DB
"trying to judgemental" Not sure what you are saying there friend, but all I was saying that any properly mentored bowhunter would not consider that a ethical shot.
That might be mine or your ethics. But its not for us to judge others. Many today feel those shots are very makable. Guys out west for example as one guy pointed out.
DB
Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

70 yds. You would shoot at an elk? I hope not. That animal is way to big to take a shot at that distance... You nail him in the shoulder. Then what. It's just not worth it, ethics 101.
70yrds is no hard shot for myself. If an elk was broadside with right conditions a 70yrder is no hard shot for myself. I use a one pin sight and would adjust the sight dead on and be sure I ranged dead on. That would be if everthing was right. Wish I had a bow set up with broadheads. I would show groups at 70yrds. But I agree that testing the limit. I would hope for 40 and under.
DB
DB
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't take that shot. I got into bowhunting because one of the reasons was I wanted it to be up close and personal so I limit my shots to 25 yards or less. If I want to shoot farther I'll just pick up the gun again.

Quick Reply: Who takes this shot on an Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.