Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 just got a switchback  need answer asap >

just got a switchback need answer asap

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just got a switchback need answer asap

Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Default just got a switchback need answer asap

just picked up a new switchback today goin tomorrow to get evrything adjusted. the salesman suggested i get a sight (dont no the name or type) it has 1 pin that you adjust (raise high or lower) to the distance you desire, my question is as a beginner would you reccomend this type or suggest i go with a 5 pin or something simular. thankyou all help is appreciated
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: just got a switchback need answer asap

For a beginner... I'd suggest a simple 3-pin fixed sight. Sight it in for 20, 30 and 40 and be done with it.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:51 AM

If you are looking for a good one pin bow sight try a Keller Pendulam I had one when I first started shooting and does excellent if the bow is set up right. I shoot Trophy Ridge now and they make a good site.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM

I used to have that type of sight on my old bow which was a mathews mq32 and now I shoot a DXT. The reason I got that sight was that it was really super bright and my bow was kinda slow, I think it shot somewhere around 215 and it dropped a bunch when shooting longer distances so I did not think I need a multiple sight pin sight. It worked ok but if I had to do it again I would not buy that sight. It was adjustable (up-down) for multiple distances but you have to loosen two different knobs to move it up and down and when there is a deer in shooting range I dont want to have to worry about moving my sight. I think its just one more thing to worry about when the deer is close, I mean sometimes it is just hard to even think straight when that big ole boy is coming into range. I shoot a 5 pin sight now and love it. All the pins are sighted in for 20-30-40-50-60 yards. All I have to do is range the deer and shoot, not range the deer, move my sight, range the deer again if he moved and then move my sight again and then try to get a shot off. I suggest shootinga fixed pin 3 or 5 pin sight. Thats just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

For a beginner... I'd suggest a simple 3-pin fixed sight. Sight it in for 20, 30 and 40 and be done with it.
x2
Old 05-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

x2
X3
Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on preference really. A begginer will do just fine or better with a single pin when it come to practice and range shooting. It really doesn't matter with the number of pins if you are a begginer or not. I personally can't concentrate on one pin in a multiple stack. Also if your shooting decent speeds, not sure if you got a 60 or 70 lb bow, but the faster you get the closer those multiples stack. I love my HHA (I'm guessing that is what he recomended as it is probably the best single pin for hunting out there)and will never shoot anythgin else when it come to a hunting sight. All you have to do is know your area and have places that you know are certain distances so if that animal gives you a quick shot coming in you can anticipate where it will be for your shot and adjust before hand. I rarely ever tighten the knob on it, just bump it up or down and shoot as there is enough tension on it that it doesn't move on its own. The single gives you the nice advantage of those shots that are say 25 or 34, or 46 ect, that you can adjust for exactly. Also nice for shooting small game at those odd yardages as you have to be dead on for a small target. Both types have their pro and cons it really just depends on your style and what works best for you. For me I can't handle multiple pins and absolutely love the single. Also I enjoy practice shooting long yardages up to 100 yards. I'm confident I canmake a clean shot ona deer out to70 and an elk out to 80. The single pin gives you those long range oportunities even if its just for fun in the yard as you are a begginer. Good luck, the switchback is a great bow and glad to see you got a nice onefor a starter. WCL
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have always prefered the multi-pin. I never liked the idea of having to adjust for yardage. Sometimes you don't have time to make a quick sight adjustment.

I have two spot-hoggs, but there are a lot of good sights out there, just look at all of them before you buy.

Hope this helps,
Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i almost think the 1-pin would be better for a beginner.... i know when i started i had a three pin sight and sometimes its a little confusing (especially when nervous) and when i switched to a 1-pin it was so much easier.....i know adjusting the sight is hard and all but just set it at 20 or 25 and leave it, for a beginner i dont think i'd shoot much farther than that , just my $.02
Old 05-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think for a beginner that is an excellent choice. Single pin set on 20 yards will take care of 90 plus% of your shots and you have no danger of using the wrong pin in the heat of the moment.
Also you do have the option of sliding it for different yardages if time and composure allow

Just my .02

Dan

Quick Reply: just got a switchback need answer asap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.