Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? on stands

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default ? on stands

I bought a couple new stands this year that were marked way down after season and i havent put them up yet. How much time in advance should i put them up before season?? If they are up longer will the deer be alot more use to them being there?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? on stands

I always put my stands up as I scout and find good spots to hunt. Either Summer or late spring.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I havemy ladder type stands upa good month prior to hunting them. This means staying out of the area altogether unless you can scout from afar.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Banned

if you're worried about the deer seeing them, then you're hanging them wrong because they'll certainly see you when you're in them !

I don't hang mine early with few exceptions - deer patters just change way too much too often
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have stands up year round & I do believe the deer are use to them. Each year I will add a stand or two & sometimes relocate depending on what I am seeing from a given location.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me clarify, the only reason a ladder stand is different from a Climber or Lock-on, is the intrusion and ensuing commotion made to put one up.

If properly placed, any stand will be mostly "out of view" and not siloutte you when you are in it. But ladder stands usually involve sweating, some pruning, vegetation being trampled beyond "normal" etc. You want to go in, make the commotion and get out.A one time intrusion of that magnitude is tolerated. Now let that intrusion become routine and it will be remembered. My 2 cents on the matter!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A month or so before you hunt is what I like. Get stand up, get out and stay out until season.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I already put my new stand up. I scout put it up and i do think the deer get used to them the longer there up
Old 04-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hang my stands early in the year. Any new stands that go up are based on late season scouting I have done (Jan & Feb). I am not doing this because I think it give the deer time to get use to my stand, but because I hate hanging stands when it is 90+ degrees outside. Also, I try to stay out of my hunting area after May, doing all my scouting with spotting scopes from a distance. However, this is not always possible. If you get new ground later in the year (summer time) you have not choice but to go in and scout and hang stands then.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

I hang mine after crops are planted because sometimes due to extreme weather conditions, crops may not always be rotated. In my areas I need to know what crops are where before I hang stands.

For example in one area I have 2 spots picked out for stands that the field should be planted in corn this year, but if we have another extremely wet planting season no way will corn be planted and maybe not beans as well. If beans are planted those spots are only going to be decent in early season. If the corn is planted it should be even better and for all season.

Quick Reply: ? on stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.