Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Insurance

Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow Insurance

In the past couple of weeks I have read about several archery shops reporting bows walking out. I am sure this is nothing new and I am sure it has happend in the past, but seems like it is becoming more common now.

So last night I was at the shop shooting league, I shoot both a 3D pop-up league and a 300 league on the same night. My 3D pop-up team has four guys on it, shooting 2 DXT's, 1 Monster, and 1 AM32(me). After we got done shooting pop-up, we put our hunting bows in our cases and got our target bows out to get ready to shoot spots. The same four guys have 3 Apex 7's and 1 Katera XL (it is so lonely being a Hoyt man in a Matthews house). Just between me and my three buddies, we have several thousand of dollars worth of bow sitting there, this is not counting the other guys shooting in either the pop-up league or the 300 league (many who also come in with two different setups). I got to thinking about how easy it would have been for someone to pick up my case with my target bow and walk out while I was shooting pop-up, or how easy it would have been for someone to pick my case with my hunting bow and walk out while I was shooting spots. And if that were to happen, what would I do (besides cuss a lot)?

So I know my home owners insurance has the serial numbers of my firearms and they are covered in the case of fire or theft (while in the house, not sure about out of the house). I have not provided my insurance company with the serial number of any of my bows, which does not make any sense because my cheapest bow is more expensive than my most expensive firearm.

So how many of you have included your bows on your insurance or have special insurance to cover your bows alone? Do you think covering your bows is a good idea or a waste of money (please explain if you think it is a waste)? I am going to make a call to my insurance company today to, at the very least, to add my bows to my home owners insurance and to ask about theft outside of the home (while hunting, league night, in transit, or at a 3D course).

I am just interested to see how many others have thought about this and see what solutions, if any other people have come up with to protect themselves from this.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bow Insurance

That's a good question.
I am going to call my insurance guy to see what could be covered.